Power locks-Remote keyless entry with flip keys

Got tired of constantly trying to unlock the front cab door locks with the keys, which would stick, especially when colder outside. So I installed a remote keyless entry- power locks that came with flip keys on the fobs. Locksmith could not or would not cut the blank to match my old Toyota truck key. So I had him copy the truck key then dremeled it down to match the attachment ends. Worked out better than I thought!IMG_20200505_114948597.jpg.b7f763bdd9489c997d4258ff7bf4431c.jpgIMG_20200420_182845428.jpg.8ae58bbdd859ab7e1fd117bfd238d13d.jpg

Well if some one makes off with your toy home you probably can catch them in a VW bug!

Just tried this mod myself. Unfortunately the kit that I bought from amazon didnt come with any mounting screws and was double the price of yours. I returned it .....I was thinking of mounting the actuators all the way on the left side of the door behind the metal panel directly to the panel ...I am very interested in how you make out with this!! Would you please let us know??

Thanks

Sure, if you look closely at the pics you can see how they're mounted. You must get the rods fairly parallel to properly use the connecting piece, which is held in place by 3 small Phillips screws. Not shown but I actually dremeled out a small piece of the metal so I could adequately tighten the screws. It works really well, but does take some planning and adjustments. There is a plastic cover that holds the lock knob collar  down that a had to cut in 2 to access the lock rod. The horizontal rod is for the inside handle opening and just gets in the way.

IMG_20200404_184024074.jpg

IMG_20200410_171911226.jpg

You have inspired me to try. For $33 I would love keyless entry.   What brand did you buy?  Does it seem "well made" .   I have all my panels off right now and this would be a perfect time to add it in.

Thanks, it's worth the time and trouble.

_mazon has a few, at least one with the flip keys. You only use 2 of the actuators. You have to buy the momentary switch separately which is optional.

There's also a few without the flip keys

Just search for power lock remote keyless. if you manually press the driver's lock down or up the passenger lock does the same

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This is great, thanks for sharing. I am going to do it too and maybe I'll finally get around to putting power windows in also.

If you have proper tools and have some knowledge of doing it yourself, then it will be fine. Instead of doing it myself , I always prefer to call locksmith boston for any locking issue. They are well trained and use a proper tools for fixing lock keys.  They provide twenty four hour services to their customers . You just call them and they will fix your locking issue properly and rapidly.

I don't think those guys will drive down to San Antonio TX to put in power locks for me so I'm just going to do it myself, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Great work! I thought of the same thing  as well; however, I didn't like the idea of carry a remote either so I went with the phone instead. Kind of copying Tesla's idea of locking/unlocking with the phone for $10. it works

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082829F9M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

The rest is straight forward as everyone's done!

Happy R'ving

I did take it a step further and also installed power windows. Came as entire set from ebay. The last picture is of before and after of the key fob that I had to order separately. The locksmith could not shape the key fob key into a duplicate of the Toyota key. It took a lot of Dremel drilling, filing, and epoxy to remove the key stem from the the old Toyota key insert it into the new key fob and then remove the small circuit board that came with the power lock remote and get it to fit into the new key fob.

20201221_131910_Film3.jpg

1608864859371738950760.jpg

16088655382331817852113.jpg

wondering if stock window motors and regulators from 1989-1995 4runner would fit on '89 and up PU? 

I have been wondering that too for several years. I searched salvage yards and took pictures and came to the conclusion it was just too big of a job and never concluded if it would work or not. Could not find any instances of Toyota owners doing it so scrapped that idea. Using the universal manual to power window conversion kit was pretty easy and cheap.

Well there were trucks those years with power windows. Toyota still carries the regulators for them. Got to be some of those trucks in junk yards with power windows. The 4runners have a different part number so they may be close enough to fit but can't know unless someone tries it

Linda S

Thanks Linda. PUs in those years with power windows and door locks are hard to find. Aftermarket may be the way to go

• 11 months later...