Shocks For A 1985 21 Foot Dolphin?

Guest wemit

I've had them fail in a couple of years on my daily driver. Oh and no warranty if you put the on yourself. You must have done it wrong. KYB's will give you a better ride anyway for the same price. I replaced the KYB's on my camper and they must have been at least 15 years old. Turned out the fronts were still good. Much smoother ride than the Bilsteins I replaced them with but everyone here is all about the Bilsteins so I went with them. 

Linda S

Hmmm,  when I redid my front end,  I could only find Monroe steering stabilizer locally and quickly.  It wore out in about 3 years.  I took it back to advance auto (I had the receipt) and they replaced it with no issues?? 

I do not get the Bilstein hype??  

Edited by jjrbus

Yea, I installed the Bilsteins a few months ago with high hopes for a smoother ride and was disappointed.  They are performing better than my work out socks were (I think they were Monroes and they appeared to be 15+ years old) but the ride is still on the bumpy side. I attribute my ride quality partially to keeping the pressure in my tires up, and partially to the size of the wheels/weight ratio.  Don't know whether any suspension would provide a smooth ride? I also have new air bags I installed last year. Anyway. 

Bilsteins are the best, period. But they are designed for control, not especially for ride quality. They are standard on many high end motor coaches. Part of the harshness is just going from worn out shocks to a new control shock. Bilsteins have a life time warranty and they stand behind it and have rebuilt shocks that they no longer make . IMHO for most of us the KYBs are the bang for the buck shock.

On our older coaches the rest of the suspension needs to be up to snuff. 90% of them still have OEM rubber bushings. After 20+ years they are shot.

What happens when you hit a big bump the the spring eye moves and bangs into the shackle, then the shackle moves and bangs in to the frame. THEN the spring starts to flex. All the banging and clanging make for a harsh ride. With good bushings the springs move immediately when the RV hits a bump. Even with the stiffer poly bushings the overall ride is much improved over worn bushings and the sway is greatly reduced.

Guest wemit

Also, what is the name of the company that supplied many of the original air bag kits on our motorhomes?

Thanks...