Replace the fuel tank Sunrader 86?

canadasunrader

Hello all.
I realize that the fuel gauge is a problem in the Toyotas, and there are many answers here on the forum.
My fuel gauge is not working. I can not get a vehicle inspection/registration etc without a working fuel gauge. Argggggggh.

I took my 86 21' Sunrader to my mechanic this weekend suspecting that the problem is the sending unit, which he confirms it is.

He says the first option is to drop the tank and clean the unit and hope that that solves it.

Otherwise, no one sells the sending unit. Finding one in a bone yard is the only hope.... and not a good one at that.

I am not a mechanic so forgive my questions, but would it be feasible/possible to just completely replace the tank with a 'new' one?
Are they expensive? Is this a solution?
Thanks again. Rick

New tank won't come with a sending unit. The sender for our trucks has been discontinued but I see one still available for Toyota trucks for that year with a 17 gallon fuel tank. How different can they be. 

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~gage~assy~fuel~sender~83320-39516.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Pickup&Year=1986&Submodel=&Filter=()&Location=electrical/switch_relay_computer,,83320

108 dollars. Maybe someone here will inform us as to what differences there might be.

Linda S

Just checked car-part.com. This place in British Columbia has a few of them some including the tank. Might be a good idea. Canada got the bigger 19 gallon tanks. It is a bit of a drive but most of us are used to that by now

South Island Imports - No US Shipping Can-BC(Nanaimo) Request_Quote 250-753-1119 / 877-753-1119 Request_Insurance_Quote
Live Chat

Linda S

Thank you, Linda.
I passed all of that great info onto the mechanic, and crossing my fingers that we can get this sorted soon, and get out on the road.

Rick

"How would they know if it's actually 'working'? "
I believe these inspections have a checklist. And if anything on the checklist fails it has to be repaired before the vehicle can pass.

If the fuel gauge doesn't move from empty when they turn the key they may figure out it's not working.

Rick

Well I might be wrong about the 19 gallon in Canada thing but look what I found. On a Canadian Toyota parts site here the exact match for the sending unit and it says it's still available. Very expensive but 

https://www.toyotapartsdirect.ca/p/Toyota_1987_4Runner-LOW-DECK-PICKUP--STANDARD-2400CC-EFI--MANUAL---4-SPEED/GAGE-ASSEMBLY--FUEL-SENDER-SENDER-FUEL/47888123/8332039645.html

Linda S

Toyota calls our trucks 4runners for some reason. Low deck pickup is so we know were talking about a truck. On lots of Toyota sites when you look for truck parts they only go up to 1983 then you have to look for 4runner parts

Linda S

Just to follow up on this:

Got the word from the mechanic today. Fuel pump, excellent. Fuel gauge sender unit, good.
Float was off and floating free. Reattached now and all back together. Gauge working. We are toasting you all with a nice tequila tonight.