Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello friends, I am trying to change my timing belt and I have a few questions that I need to ask you . The first question is with regard to loosening of the crankshaft pulley bolt . There is a video on YouTube on timing belt for  4Runner 93 . The guy uses the starter to loosen the bolt. The manual says remove the starter and use a pry bar to hold the  crankshaft from turning and then you can undo the bolt .  Do I have to  torque it to 180 pound or just an impact wrench is enough.  
Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. .
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, mason said:

Hello friends, I am trying to change my timing belt and I have a few questions that I need to ask you . The first question is with regard to loosening of the crankshaft pulley bolt . There is a video on YouTube on timing belt for  4Runner 93 . The guy uses the starter to loosen the bolt. The manual says remove the starter and use a pry bar to hold the  crankshaft from turning and then you can undo the bolt .  Do I have to  torque it to 180 pound or just an impact wrench is enough.  
Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. .
 

I have done hundreds of different operations involving crank bolts that is beyond a doubt the easiest way to remove the crank bolt. You can torque it to 180 but it is extremely unlikely they it will come loose if you get it good and tight

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Maineah said:

I have done hundreds of different operations involving crank bolts that is beyond a doubt the easiest way to remove the crank bolt. You can torque it to 180 but it is extremely unlikely they it will come loose if you get it good and tight

Hi Maineah, which way did you loosened the bolt?

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mason said:

Hi Maineah, which way did you loosened the bolt?

Facing the engine it turns clockwise so prop your tools against the drive side. You may want to pull the coil wire it's no big deal if it starts the whole mess will just fall on the floor but it's worth the effort. It may take a couple of hits so don't get discouraged. An impact is more than sufficient.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Maineah said:

Facing the engine it turns clockwise so prop your tools against the drive side. You may want to pull the coil wire it's no big deal if it starts the whole mess will just fall on the floor but it's worth the effort. It may take a couple of hits so don't get discouraged. An impact is more than 

Thanks, I should get on with it in couple of days. 

Edited by mason
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maineah, how did you tightened the bolt to 180 pounds?

Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way any kind of tip that can save me a lot of time and labour  is greatly appreciated in these hard times. . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

People in this website has given me the potential to be able to keep my old RV in in one piece. Economically I am way below the poverty line. That doesn't mean that I  self-pity myself. Thank you all in these hard times..you are very beautiful people..please take care of yourselves physically  in these hard times my friends ..

Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a simple tool out of a piece of bed frame, for torquing after installation.   image.png.4e1602b9729075e91fb3c35331de8658.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, mason said:

Maineah, how did you tightened the bolt to 180 pounds?

Well being a grease monkey and shop owner for 38 years it "was tight enough" never had one fall off! There are certain things that torque is extremely important that's not one of them. I gather you have an impact gun that should be sufficient. If not you'll need to block the flywheel or the crankshaft. You sure it's 180 FP that's a good bit of torque. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I should be able to borrow an impact wrench. Thanks for the responses.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...