Should I get a Toyota RV for fulltime living?

So I recently became aware of the Toyota motorhomes. For the last few months I have been considering getting a Ram Promaster and converting it, but I realized that would be far to expensive for my first experience with mobile living. 

My question: Are these Toyota motorhomes still worth buying even today? I don't have much capital and was hoping to find one for around 5 grand. My guess is that any one of these RV's in that price range would have a ton of problems visible and invisible. Would I be better off getting a truck with a cabover camper? The appeal of the vans is obviously that they are more stealthy and newer, but far more expensive. 

My goal: I would like the freedom/flexibility of mobile living so that I can see the nearby states (I live in California). I have been trading stocks for almost a year now and a have a part time gig catering, so work is quite flexible/mobile for me.

Any insights about these rvs would be greatly appreciated! As far as size goes the smaller the better like the shorter Sunrader, but it seems those are hard to come by and far more expensive.

Thank you!

Well your certainly not going to find a Ram Promaster for anything near 5 grand. A shorty Sunrader would also be hard to find at that price unless it needs some work. Look

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/rvs/d/santa-rosa-1991-toyota-dolphin/7107875478.html

Look at the mileage. That's like a regular Toyota truck that's only a couple of years old. Most of these campers you will find with lower than normal truck miles. Yes you might need to do some work but major engine work is not usually part of the deal. Remember they are Toyota's

Linda S

Brutal truth, there are a bunch of old POS Toyota MHs that people are living in. It depends on your tolerance for things. Like using a broken Refer as an icebox, a dead water heater is fixed by boiling water on the stove, a busted toilet/ broken holding tank is fixed by removing the toilet and replacing it with a porta potty. Broken heater, buy a sleeping bag. The more stuff that is broken the cheaper the RV. The big deal is NO leaks. Use snow coat to seal it up

If you have skills a carbed 4cy is anvil tough and cheaper to work on/fix up than an EFI equipped 4 cyl engine. The V-6 is a nightmare.

If it turns out that this ain't your thing a Toy MH with a 1 ton axle is often worth more as parts than the purchase $$$.

These toyota motorhomes are awesome, small, unique and offer a good living space. They definitely can be worth buying. Unfortunately you'll probably have to do something along the lines of a gut and rebuild if you buy one that hasn't been rebuilt already which is the place myself and a few others have found themselves in after recently purchasing Sunraders. Which is all well and good if you have the time, money, skills and patience to rebuild a camper. Oh and if your not looking to use it for the next 6 months to a year.

I was in a very similar situation to you last winter looking for a full time rig; I have been living in my truck camper for the last 2 1/2 years and I was looking for an upgrade. Working and living in boulder I am surrounded by beautiful Sprinter and Promaster build outs everywhere I turn. Like you stated they are far too expensive to justify themselves unless you've got cash you're looking to throw away. I've also heard the Promasters shit out around 80,000 and Sprinter maintainance is insanely expensive (like $300 an oil change expensive)

Probably your most economical and fastest option to build out will be some type of work van or truck, which would depend on if you want to stand up or not.

A truck with a popup or hard sided camper is another option, or you can buy a truck and build your own cabover camper which is where I originally started.

I tried for the option your considering now; I bought a 18' Sunrader hoping that I would just have to fix up a few things and be on my way to better living. I tried to verify everything about the vehicle before purchase including sagging floors and roof, but you can only check so much until you tear it apart. Unfortunately when I got it home I found a rotten floor and a sagging ceiling, which has led me into an entire gut and rebuild of the thing. It's costing me a lot of time and money which I didn't really have to spare, but I've made my bed

Here's a pic of the first camper I built and have lived in for over 2  years. I have a heater, stove and a small sink. I also live at my work with a shower and bathrooms so those weren't considerations for me.

As WME stated, a LOT depends on your personal tolerance of living conditions.

Another source to check is www.toyotarvforsale.com

Also check craigslist in Oregon and Washington if you can travel to get it, for some reason there seems to be more toyota motorhomes up there than anywhere else. Beware rust, mold and water damage because of it though.

IMG_2508.JPG

Edited by JaySam

• 2 weeks later...

For yourself, a Toyhome is sufficient; I recently lived full time for 2 weeks self-quarantine from an oversea trip in my 1990 Itasca and it worked out just fine. I bought mine for $7.2K 8 years ago in a decent shaped but I had spent lots of time and $ improving it along the way. Pls. only consider any MH only if you are very handy with tools and some mechanical skills.

For high roof van, I would only consider the Ford Transit line of cargo van as they are cheaper to maintain and tends to be more reliable with decent MPH; this option is out of your budget.

The other option is getting a box truck and equip with what you need...then change registration to RV type to save some $ and eliminate the CHP scale. I have a Ford E350 with 14ft box and consider changing it to RV for my guys to go work across states