Another Axle Question, Apologies

fullthrottle

Hi All:

I am new to this forum and excited to be here. I have been in the market for one of these little motorhomes for a long time. Most of the ones I find are completely trashed and would require a total overhaul, which I don't have time or energy to do. OR, they don't have the upgraded axle.

Well, I found an '81, 17 foot in great shape. But of course it has the 5 lug axle. It has 90k on the rig.

So, does anyone have direct experience running the little 17 on the inferior axle.  And YES, I know it is not advisable, and I plan to do the update if I buy this one.  But the 17ft is lighter, and mine would be very light local use.  So I would appreciate anyone with experience.

Also, does anyone have any updated contacts where I can source the axle?  I could probably do the work myself if I can find one.

Thanks!

If you driving while waiting to locate a 1 ton FF axle, the thing to do is keep 10 psi MORE air pressure in the inner duel. This reduces the stress on the axle caused by "leverage" from the outer wheel.

Thanks for the response.

So does anyone have any 1st hand knowledge of the durability of a 17ft on this original axle if the weight in rear is kept down.  I know there have been problems (which you hear about).  But I'm wondering about anyone who is using one of these.  I mean it has been fine for 90,000 miles.

I know this issue exists, and that's why there was  recall.  But I have literally looked at dozens of these rigs with the original axle and many had 100-200k or more.  No I don't want to take risks, but I can't figure out at what level risk this is. I also race motorcycles, I know about risk/reward.

If anyone can shed more light on a 17ft mini cruiser I would greatly appreciate it

Guest wemit

Well I gotta' say that after 90,000 miles something should have broken. Keeping the weight down in the rear and adding 10 extra pounds of air on the inside tire is a good idea. I ha d a 20 foot dolphin with the bad axle many years ago and the axle DID break but it broke well inboard of the wheel and no damage was done to anything but the axle itself. You pose an interesting question: how long do you want to drive with 5 lug axle even if it is on a 17 footer...

Might also not hurt to replace your rear wheels bearings and see what shape they're in! 

Thanks for the replies!  I haven't bought it yet, which is why I'm reaching out to you all.  I think I can get it for $3.500, but that may be too much if I have to replace that axle.   Plus I don't currently have the time to do it.  If it really is a ticking time bomb, then I will pass.  But I am trying to get enough information to determine if it is really that. Which is why I would love to hear from anyone with on the road experience with a 17ft.  My guess is that most of that knowledge is being driven around by clueless owners who never even heard of an axle or this site.  And we may see them soon on the side of the road :)

My rig is only 16’. Total weight with me in it is 4200 lbs.

I switched to a GM 1 ton ff axle so I could run singles on the back. I pulled the old 5 lug axle shafts just to see how they looked. Both shafts showed metal fatigue and rust stains just inboard of the rear axle seals. They didn’t have much life left in them. Don’t let the size of your rig fool you. Remember, your 5 lug has had 30-40 years of stress placed on those shafts by the fake duel wheels.

Finding a toyota 1 Ton FF might take awhile . I had the 5 lug axle unaware of what I had when I bought it. I took me a year or two to find one in my area. I was on Craigslist and Letgo every day. A junkyard listed a toyota box truck with the axle I needed , it was a 4 hr drive to another state but 550 bucks for the axle and all 4 rims . The next day I was their when they opened the gates at 8am . Lol