'87 Sunrader Heater Replacement

Iflyfish

I am still sorting the problem with my defunct heater in my Sunrader. 

Has anyone replaced one? Where did you find it? How much was it? Is it possible to find a used one.

I'm still a bit nervous about having a portable heater.

Thanks for your input.

Iflyfishinthecold

The NT-16 was the standard heater in most Toys of your vintage. What make and model do you have now?

Sunraders came with Hydro Flame furnaces so an Atwood would likely be a better fit. You furnace is also ducted, this one just has heat coming out that one grill. There is an intake grill in front of your furnace but the 2 grills might not match in size. Is it completely dead? Parts can still be found to fix up our old ones. 

Linda S

23 hours ago, WME said:

The NT-16 was the standard heater in most Toys of your vintage. What make and model do you have now?

Mine is a Atwood / Hydro Flame Furnace Model 8516

My RV tech says that it is highly rusted on the outside and no doubt also on the inside. He says it is not safe and I believe he knows what he is doing. The 8516 is no longer manufactured and it looks like I will need to find a replacement for it. 

20 hours ago, linda s said:

Sunraders came with Hydro Flame furnaces so an Atwood would likely be a better fit. You furnace is also ducted, this one just has heat coming out that one grill. There is an intake grill in front of your furnace but the 2 grills might not match in size. Is it completely dead? Parts can still be found to fix up our old ones. 

Linda S

Thanks Linda. I'm trying to find a replacement now. I'll keep folks posted on what I find. 

Well, hows your whittling skills. The new Atwood furnaces in the 12-16 kbtu come in 2 basic sizes. DFMD 16xxx 7 3/8 x 16 1/2 x 20 and the DFSD 12xxx and the 16xxx, 7x12x20

Atwood was bought by Dometic so all the new PN are Dometic

This furnace is very close to your existing one. 2 inches deeper but in my Sunrader I'm pretty sure there are an extra 2 inches. In all other ways it looks identical

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-atwood-dfmd20111-rv-mojave-propane-heater-furnace-20k/

Here is one on ebay too that was bought and never used. Case looks slightly bent but not in anyway the might make it not work. Seller has 100% feedback which is very good for  someone with over 500 items sold. Has make offer on it too. You could offer 400? Would be a very good deal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Atwood-DFMD20111-RV-Hydroflame-Propane-Furnace-Heater-20K/274233530135?hash=item3fd9979717:g:~0IAAOSwWy5eL70c

Linda S

Do measure your space though

On 4/14/2020 at 2:42 PM, Derek up North said:

Here are the dimension for you old one.

image.png.40b291798a119ea7cfac080e9da89677.png

Thank you Derek! Loosing hair scratching my head and this helps! 

23 hours ago, WME said:

Well, hows your whittling skills. The new Atwood furnaces in the 12-16 kbtu come in 2 basic sizes. DFMD 16xxx 7 3/8 x 16 1/2 x 20 and the DFSD 12xxx and the 16xxx, 7x12x20

Atwood was bought by Dometic so all the new PN are Dometic

Thank you very much WME. I will share this with my guy. Very helpful! I will keep all posted.

23 hours ago, linda s said:

This furnace is very close to your existing one. 2 inches deeper but in my Sunrader I'm pretty sure there are an extra 2 inches. In all other ways it looks identical

https://pantherrvproducts.com/dometic-atwood-dfmd20111-rv-mojave-propane-heater-furnace-20k/

Here is one on ebay too that was bought and never used. Case looks slightly bent but not in anyway the might make it not work. Seller has 100% feedback which is very good for  someone with over 500 items sold. Has make offer on it too. You could offer 400? Would be a very good deal

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Atwood-DFMD20111-RV-Hydroflame-Propane-Furnace-Heater-20K/274233530135?hash=item3fd9979717:g:~0IAAOSwWy5eL70c

Linda S

Do measure your space though

Thank you Linda for taking the time to explore this. I will run these by my guy. I'll keep everyone posted on what works. 

Here is some thing I forget about, that popped on the other Toy site.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPERFASTRACING-Remote-Control-Diesel-Heater/dp/B07KMQ9VWY

1 hour ago, Derek up North said:

What a very strange image to chose to use! Looks like it's designed to burn your house down!

image.png.1fc5bc5abd13c09cee4e469d1f9179ad.png

Its the thought that counts😁 Regardless of the art work its a viable option for a cheaper alternative  while still having a vented heater

22 hours ago, WME said:

Its the thought that counts😁 Regardless of the art work its a viable option for a cheaper alternative  while still having a vented heater

Crack me up! Burn the house down add!  

I'm working with a Tech now. He is going to tear the one I have down and see if it is repairable. If not, thanks to this group, I have options of another unit of about the same size to install. 

Thank you and the rest of the folks who have pitched in on this issue. I will keep you posted. 

Iflyfishwarmedbymyfurnace 

11 hours ago, Iflyfish said:

Crack me up! Burn the house down add!  

I'm working with a Tech now. He is going to tear the one I have down and see if it is repairable. If not, thanks to this group, I have options of another unit of about the same size to install. 

Thank you and the rest of the folks who have pitched in on this issue. I will keep you posted. 

Iflyfishwarmedbymyfurnace 

Make sure your tech knows that almost all the parts to rebuild our little heaters are still available. Blower motor, circuit board, sail switch and the list goes on. I need to tear into mine too. Gonna start with the blower motor. Think it's just not turning fast enough to open the sail switch. Let me know how yours goes. 

Linda S

Linda, I had trouble with mine starting up too. I cleaned it, put a couple drops of oil on the motor shaft, and some duct tape on the sail to make it a larger area to activate the sail switch and it's been working fine for years now.

1 hour ago, ednelson100 said:

... some duct tape on the sail to make it a larger area to activate the sail switch ...

Not something I would ever do. The 'sail' size is part of the safety system design. It is sized to operate when an air flow deemed safe is detected. 'Fooling' it to operate at a lower air flow, in my opinion, is not a good idea.

That's true and I'm sure when it was brand new it worked just like it was supposed to but after 30 years mechanic stuff can get stiff and will never work like they did new. Working on heating and air conditioning and a lot of other stuff most of my life I feel comfortable with it.

On 4/21/2020 at 2:54 AM, linda s said:

Make sure your tech knows that almost all the parts to rebuild our little heaters are still available. Blower motor, circuit board, sail switch and the list goes on. I need to tear into mine too. Gonna start with the blower motor. Think it's just not turning fast enough to open the sail switch. Let me know how yours goes. 

Linda S

My Tech guy is Certified and examined it today. He says the combustion chamber is intact and he can rebuild it. Whew!!! What a relief! I will update when done. Thanks to all who have spent time with this. 

1 hour ago, linda s said:

So where exactly is he? I am getting so tired of fixing shit, I could take a drive after the shut down is over

Linda S

I'm in Beaverton, Oregon, he lives a couple of miles away. Works privately. Knows his stuff, quick and reasonably priced. I would be happy to introduce him to you. Where are you? You can also email me if you choose. He's the real deal. He could have chosen to replace it but said I would save lots of money and hassle if he just repaired it. If you come you can also jump up and down on the floors I rebuilt with epoxy. I would love to meet  you. 

Edited by Iflyfish