Mud dauber wasps

Royal

I am about done with the remodel/re-hab on my '85 Sunrader and was powerwashing the roof.  Accidently moved the wand past the Cyclone vent for the black water tank and blew it to smithereens.  While replacing it with a new one, noticed that the inside of the vent pipe was completely clogged with mud dauber nests.  A couple of coat hangers in series made a make shift "snake" and the pipe was easily clear.  If you have any odors from the black tank, this may be part of the problem. 

I am posting because this reminded me:

My heater did not work.  Mud daubers had taken residence in and around the sail switch and fan.  No air flow, no heat.  A pain but a no money fix. 

My refrigerator worked on electric but did not work on propane.  Again mud daubers.  Another no money fix.  

....My rig sat unused for up to 10 years before I bought it.  

Hey there Royal, been there and done that on the furnace invasion with the mud dauber nest in the squirrel cage. It was not cheap for the new motor that was already blown.  There are exhaust vent covers available for pretty reasonable for those who don't know. (below) Do make sure that you get a good quality stainless one however, my first was a cheapo and rusted. Possibly consider buying some additional screen to cover the louvered vents (from the inside) to the water heater, genny and LPG doors. It's a nasty surprise on a sunny afternoon to open one of those doors and be greeted by an angry wasp or three. I cleaned the inside surface and used clear caulking to attach it. BTW per your "Interests" tag, like you, I love fixing stuff but am noticing that more and more of the new stuff I am buying needs fixing right out of the box. Thanks for your post and fix.

BR, TG

Screen.JPG

Yep, one of the first purchases was a screen to go over the heater in/out.  When I bought my Sunrader it had sat for a number of years. I'm sure that Derek's Dollar Store suggestion would work just as well at a fraction of the price my "official" screen cost. 

I've been working on mine for 4 months straight now and she's ready for a trip as soon as this Corona thing clears.  I can almost hear her saying "take me"........Think I'm gonna call her Cinderella.  

image.png.ba5a3939e2af35b22a2f559b1f2f0288.pngHere is the one I used and fastened it with stainless steel screws.

Edited by Homer