electrical, charging starting battery

Charlesgm

I recently replaced my Power converter with a new PD 4000 series power control center.

I did not notice any wire going toward the front of the coach to provide charging to the starting battery.  I was wondering does it get charged by the PCC?

My unit is plugged in to 110 volt, as well as I have installed 2 100 amp solar panels for when traveling. (also a 2000 w inverter).

would appreciate any help you can give me.

thanks!

Charles martinson

928-580-2100

vlflex@juno.com

The normal system function is when the engine is running the alternator charges the truck battery and through the isolator it charges the house battery. With the engine off the isolator is disconnected The converter and solar panels just charge the house battery.

There smart isolators that will let the alternator charge the house battery AND let the converter/solar charge the truck battery.

https://www.boatandrvaccessories.com/products/cole-hersee-48530-isolator

Inside of the original charger is a relay switches the max power to the lights and all things DC the battery is charged as a lower rate. As long as the truck is running it supplies power to the coach battery as well as the truck. With a converter charger it charges at the needed rate so replacing the old charger with a modern one the coach battery wiring needs to be connected to the output of the converter charger it will charge the battery and the lighting at the necessary rate a far superior system. You can identify the wire by size I will be a number 8 and generally red.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the electric system checked and a wire at the isolator was hooked up wrong. But the big problem and one I missed was that the starting battery was almost dead.

By taking care of those two items I am now back in business.  Thanks for the help!

charles