I am down a quart of rear end oil per 1500 miles and wondering if I should be concerned (other than the pollution). I have an 1987 Toy Slumber Queen model that is R22e automatic.

I called the local mechanic who fixed my trany leak last year and he got nothing come up on his computer for parts?

Thanks in advance

Assuming it's a 1 ton diff if you see no leaks it's most likely filling the hubs with oil. Toyota decided a departure from the normal ideal of gear oil lube of the wheel bearings so they sealed the axle to keep oil from filling the hubs. In theory the axle seal will keep oil from getting on the brakes but that is not to be ignored you need to find out where the oil is going if you don't see it it's inside of the hubs.

Any noticeable drip accumulations under the axle after it sits for a while? 

Yeah I see oil leaks for sure under the housing. It it definitely leaking right in the middle. I never looked at the hubs. There's lot of rear end oil right on the pavement. It is a big job to put in a new seal and wondering what the part number/supplier would be.

Procedure

The new seal, made by Timkin was purchased from Auto Zone for $5.99.

Step 1, chock the wheels, drain the diff fluid
Step 2, use chock to make a line across the driveshaft, pinion flange and diff
Step 3, use 14mm wrenches/sockets to remove the 4 driveshaft flange bolts
Step 4, pull the driveshaft towards the front of the 4x4 and down to get it out of the way
Step 5, use a 30 mm socket to remove the pinion nut
Step 6, pull the driveshaft flange off the pinion gear
Step 7, use a hammer and sctrewdiver to remove the old seal, this was kind of hard (be careful not to damage the pinion gear)
Step 8, lightly grease the new seal around the edge
Step 9, tap the new seal into place with a pice of pipe and a hammer
Step 10, Replace the pinion/driveshaft flange (in line with mark on diff)
Step 11, Replace pinion nut (make sure the pinion washer does not fall off)
Step 12, Put driveshaft into place (in line with all marks) and slide in bolts
Step 13, Tourque down all 4 driveshaft flange bolts
Step 14, Fill er' up with gear oil (appx. 3 quarts, 90 weight)
Step 15, test drive, feel/listen for vibration, when you get back home it should not leak any more!

Took about 1.5 hours, a 14mm wrench, 14mm socket, 30mm socket, flathead screwdriver, hammer, greese, gear oil, wheel chocks and a lot of soap to clean up afterwords. Any questions, hope this helps some other people. 

Seal should be available just about anywhere. Google and you will find

Linda S

If it's leaking between the diff and the banjo the diff will have to come out. It's a bit of a project. If the oil is coming out of the front it's not so bad follow Linda's description.