Sunrader shock and airbag suggestions, advice?

canadasunrader

Hello there.
I have been rebuilding the interior of my 1986 21' Sunrader for a few months now.

All good so far.
Last week I dropped him off at the mechanic's for a good once over and to address all things mechanical.
All good so far.

One issue I would love to get some advice on is the rear end.
I have the six lug axle etc so I am assuming I am fine there, however, I am wondering if anyone can chime in with suggestions on what is a proper and good set up for a 'normal'  21' Sunrader as far as shocks and springs and airbags go?
I don't see any airbags on mine, and the mechanic says the shocks are very old and rusty.
And when I drive him over even small bumps in the road there is a pretty significant bang in the back as if there are no shocks etc at all.

So... just wondering if someone can advise on what is ideal? What to buy and where to go from here?

Thanks again so much. Hoping to actually get on the road soon.
Rick

Start here...http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/11900-89-saggy-rear-suspension-and-steering-pop-advice/

Air bags are probably the best as they are adjustable. With a small 12v tire air compressor you can use them to help level the rv when camping. Best shocks are Bilstein, 2nd choice would be KYB. Monroes are MEH

The banging is most likely totally worn out leaf spring bushings. Each spring has 3 sets of bushings. Normal auto stores can get OEM rubber bushings. The  better bushing is a poly bushing from an hot-rod/off road shop

P.S. Big $$$ solution is new bushings, springs and airbags. Make it like new Airbags and bushings are the minimum

P.P.S Read up on adjusting the rear basis brake valve. With your rear suspension fixed you brakes will act strange until you adjust the basis controller.

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/4321-brakes-load-sensing-proportional-valve-lspv-and-lspbv/

Edited by WME