Hello  just updating everyone on how we just finished our 2wd to 4wd solid axle swap in our 20ft Dolphin yoterhome. We used all  toyota pickup parts from an 85 to keep it stock height as if it came from the factory. Just recently installed a 5 speed and tcase with an oversized turbo aisin clutch. Also installed v6 4.56 gears front and rear, this combo with with 27x8.50 general grabbers gives it the rpms to go up grades  better. Upgraded to a v6 radiator to help cool the 22r and using v6 brakes with vented rotors up front to slow it down. Its been  over 2 years of remodeling and swapping to get it where it is now.  Been in the family since new in 84 and hoping for another 35 years.

KIMG0701.JPG

KIMG0705.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there '84 4x4,

Was cruising through stuff and saw your posts and eventual completion. Good tight looking rig and somewhat unusual. Sometimes I think I could use an extra 2' and  sometimes I like the angle of departure that I have at 18'. I am for sure not getting the sawzall out again anytime soon though.   I am however, interested in how much braking power you gained when you swapped up to the V6 vented rotor system up front. Was it quite noticeable?  Is it a worthwhile mod for the dough? Before I knew of the upgrade, I replaced the stock solid rotors and all equipment up front. Coming over the Sierras, on the downhill side of 89/Monitor Pass, there's still "room for improvement".

Thanks and stay safe and healthy,

BR, TG

Hey thanks for the reply, the brake swap  definitely  gives more stopping but almost to much for the small tires i have. I have same setup on a flatbed dually  toyota with 30" tires and it is better. It is perfect on my 4runner with 33"s they are all set up the same v6 brakes with 1" master cylinder. Hope this helps only thing i would change is might just use 4cyl calipers on the smaller tire rigs.  You probably have to run wheel spacers up front to clear larger calipers just a thought.

Thanks Jeff.

Yeah, if the smaller calipers will fit over the thicker rotors I guess that would work.  It would sure save money for the spacers and new calipers too. (Hadn't figured on the spacers, yikes) Have you set any of your Yotas up this way? Also, for comparison, any idea what your rig weighs? I'm at 5,800 lbs.,and that's un-provisioned too.

Thanks, TG

My rig weighs about the same as yours the rotors come off landcruisers and you use ifs calipers. I'm pretty sure 4cyl and v6 are same size just smaller pistons, so clearance issues are the same for both.  I got rid of the lspv valve and just use an adjustable one coming out of master cylinder. The vented rotors really help with heat and brake fade.  I have front wheel spacers on each setup.  Hope this helps/ makes sense.

Thanks Jeff

Yeah, my LSPV is history as well, no love lost there. The rest all makes complete sense, thanks.

TG

This is my 85 toyota I built 15 years ago before I had seen anyone with one. It has  an 86 toyota dually with 1/4" spacers between the rims not much room but they don't rub. It has 4.56 gears in it as well as motorhome I use it to tow a landscape trailer daily.

Thanks Jeff

KIMG0246 (1).JPG