Window sealant

Michael M

Just picked up an 84 Toyota Sunrader. I'm having a slight leak in the front windows over the bed. I'm about to leave on a trip and was curious if there was a quick and easy temporary fix for this? either some sort of sealant or waterproof taping? Really don't want to damage the fiberglass shell at all and am just not all too sure what to do?

Thanks in advance!

Michael: Water might be coming in around your clearance lights and running down. I would check them also.

Edited by Homer
not enough info for him.

The correct way would be take the window out and put BUTYL RUBBER between the fiberglass and window gasket. They make BUTYL  in Black, Almond and white, I think. It comes in rolls about 1" wide and ?? feet long. Has been 10 yrs since I bought any.  Best of luck on fixing the leak.

Butyl rubber is only going to work with a flat front window Sunrader. Don't know which one he has. If they are wraparound windows your going to need a new rubber seal like this

https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-Stripping-Two-Piece-Glass-Edge/dp/B00NL48HSE/ref=pd_bxgy_328_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00NL48HSE&pd_rd_r=X064D7VP91W0GWMV08Q6&pd_rd_w=IQ93W&pd_rd_wg=dtd3V&psc=1&refRID=X064D7VP91W0GWMV08Q6

And the lock strip

https://www.amazon.com/Trim-Lok-LK937-25-Rubber-Locking-Gaskets/dp/B00NL48VUS

I don't really like it when people put caulk around their windows but in a pinch I guess you could. This one stretches so the vibrations of the road won't pull it apart. Just remember these caulks are hard to remove. Use sparingly

https://www.thehardwarecity.com/products/10006-10.5-oz.-Big-Stretch-Acrylic-Latex-High-Performance-Caulking-Sealant,-Clear/6257950?gclid=CjwKCAjwmKLzBRBeEiwACCVihhjInGVwdvKWMWZI6AQG1IptQMYaXy42M6aNjQ0XXsDqOUHzL_BBfBoCVHAQAvD_BwE

most hardware stores have it

Linda S

14 hours ago, Michael M said:

I'm about to leave on a trip and was curious if there was a quick and easy temporary fix for this?

How 'temporary'? I've seen people cover the whole front windows with Eternabond tape.

As mentioned above, many a clearance light leak has been blamed on the windows.

I just thought of a cheap temp fix.  My friend got tired of trying to find the overhead leak on his Sunrader so he had vinyl wrap installed. Stopped the problem and not visible. Clear vinyl wrap can be bought for cheap on Ebay if you want to do it yourself. 

Linda S

On 3/12/2020 at 9:03 AM, linda s said:

I just thought of a cheap temp fix.  My friend got tired of trying to find the overhead leak on his Sunrader so he had vinyl wrap installed. Stopped the problem and not visible. Clear vinyl wrap can be bought for cheap on Ebay if you want to do it yourself. 

Linda S

Your post got me looking for a front window covering and I saw this..... would look good I think.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mountain-Scene-4-River-and-Trees-Truck-Tailgate-Vinyl-Graphic-Decal-Wrap/332334509763?hash=item4d60ae2ec3:m:mRg0QKNQc-dfNlnHZ7SWZVg

• 2 months later...

I moved into the Yotabago as an emergency solution and discovered that the front window has developed a minor river at highway speeds, nevermind that it is June and I am  clearing snow and ice from the windscreen. 

This will  be a Rest Area when-nobody-is-looking fix.  Will try to find butyl tape at Home Despot. Am open to community suggestions.