AC BTU and generator for 1986 Travel Master

Shay

Hey , I recently bought a 1986 Travel Master which doesn't have a generator. Trying to figure out the BTU on ac unit and and what generator should I buy. Does any one know how many BTU this unit has and if the Ryobi 2300 generator will be enough? 

Coleman rooftop have a metal I.d. plate riveted to the upper frame near the compressor. You would have to remove the shroud to see the plate. All service information will be there. I’m guessing other manufacturers do the same thing.

1 hour ago, linda s said:

We would need to know what brand and model your air conditioner is to tell you the BTU's. You might have to unscrew the inside panel to see this if identifying markings on the outside have worn off. 

Linda S

Thanks Linda, Its a coleman mach model 8333B676

Run current is around 1300 watts start current will be a good bit higher 2300 watts should work fine it will take a hit when it starts but it should do it. If all else fails a hard start compressor cap kit will fix that.

No I think not. Specs Derek posted show much higher energy needs. Locked rotor amps for compressor to start up are 62 and that generator max amps is 20. I think too much even with a hard start kit. Running watts if it's hot 1970. Running watts for that generator 1800. 

Linda S

I had a 13.5kbtu A/C and an onan 2800 microlite gen-set. Above 90 degrees it would NOT RELIABLY restart the A/C without tripping the generator. I added a hot start cap and it solved the problem.

Even with a hot start cap I don't think a Ryobi 2300 has enough power to restart your A/C

Experimenting cost $$, so here are 2 choices

https://rv-ac.com/Easy-RV-AC-Starter.html        this is a timer setup. It starts the compressor first, then starts the fan. So your not getting hit with 2 different surges at the same time.

https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6cyuss7g5wIVLh-tBh04XQ8OEAQYBCABEgKiFPD_BwE&variant=30176048267

This cost the most, but is very smart. It steps up the voltage to the A/C in steps and greatly reduces the surge by spreading it out over time.

P.S. Harbor Freight has a very nice 3000w inverter generator

Thank you everybody for all the info! I will get the 3500 predator to be on the safe side. It weighs about a 100 lb.. Is it to heavy on  bumper rack? Adding fuel, genny box etc, any suggestions what to check before/ how to do it right? Thanks again everybody!

Both my brother and myself have the 3500w Predator for house backup power. He is in Santa Cruz and has about 30 hr on his after one season of PG&E safety blackouts. I have about 1.5 hr on mine, winter storm related.  HF fails to mention that its is battery electric start which is nice

You would have to reinforce the frame and bumper to safely carry that much weight.

Money is a big deal these days, but you might think about a smaller A/C that will run off a 2300/2400 inverter generator. OR a pair of the Ryobi sized units in parallel and use your 13.5k unit. You can turn a knob and seal the fuel tank then run the carb dry and have no smell. Then store them in your shower for transportation. Just chain them to your bumper when they are outside.

• 2 weeks later...

I think 13,500 btu is way too big for a Toyota RV and would not buy that much btu.

Hard start cap may or not work with a small generator and definitely not reliably.  I do have a hard start cap in my 8000 btu window AC with my Honda 2000 and it makes a noticeable difference.

I have been watching these for a few years and cannot recommend as I do not have one, on the other hand from what I have read if I had an issue would buy one. I have yet to see a negative review on a properly installed one.

https://www.microair.net/collections/easystart-soft-starters/products/easystart-364-3-ton-single-phase-soft-starter-for-air-conditioners?gclid=EAIaIQobChMItdi9ysv25wIVA6SzCh230gThEAQYASABEgKGiPD_BwE&variant=30176048267

Edited by jjrbus

• 1 month later...

My old friend Gene "stole" my Fluke clamp on ammeter so I bought one from Harbor Freight for about $20.  For anyone contemplating buying a generator or an A/C, this will take most of the guesswork out of the decision of "how big" does it need to be.  In the real world, there are too many variables (age, ambient temp, wire gauge, startup surge, how long does the startup surge last, erc) to depend upon label plates.  A generator really doesn't care about label plates or rated BTUs.....only caring about amps.  Run your A/C on shore power with a clamp on ammeter attached, you can quickly and accurately determine which size inverter generator you would need.  (Watts = 120 volts x amps)

I had no idea what size roof A/C was installed in my Sunrader.  (The label plate was missing.)  With my clamp on, I determined that it was drawing 7.9 amps running on a 88 degree day with intense sun.  Startup amps was 13+/-.  If you want to be sure, start the A/C on the nastiest hottest day you expect to ever see and read the amperage.  If you start the fan first (the temperature setting on the thermostat on the highest setting) and then turn the thermostat down until the compressor comes on, the startup amps for the whole unit is reduced.  

I am presently running a 2000 Watt WEN 56203i inverter generator and it does the job for my A/C very nicely.  A nice compact package, very easy to clean and portable at 41#.  I keep in inside in a nice cabinet rather than on the shower floor.