Roof repair advice needed!

thewanderlustking

Alright, finally attacking my leaky roof...  Backstory:  Roof leak above the table on right passenger side was traced down last year to coming in on the left side of the ac surround frame, traveling around the AC frame (I guess) under the roof membrane or whatever it is.  

In my build "comedy" thread, WME suggested replacing the AC gasket.  While that is a cheap repair, getting this AC unit out to do it will likely destroy it.  It has tar all around the edges and it partially glued in from the tar and sealant.  I don't see it going well.

There is a fillet of tar around the, frame/surround.  Whatever you want to call it.  That fillet might be as much as 2" thick in places!  CRAZY thick!!!  Underneath it is some sort of foam.  Expanding spray foam I am sure.  There were also some glops of expanding foam on top of the AC unit to keep the cover from rattling (my assumption anyways).  

We went out last night to Home Depot and got a wire wheel, some cut-off wheels, and white Flex Seal.  Good stuff, I can make an air boat with it from window screening...  🤣  But once I hogged out the stuff that was coming up and feathered it out, there is a void now.  It is about an inch deep too.  If I just put flex seal in there at a normal 1/8 thickness, I won't be filling that void up.  Water sitting in there, will be a problem and break it down.  

I am not sure the best approach here.  I have roofing asphalt in the shed.  It would nicely fill the void.  But will it be compatible with the Flex seal?  Or can I simply do a couple applications of the Flex Seal?  

EDIT:  Well the first layer is down THICK.  I am going to let it set up for an hour or so and then try to brush some of it back into the void.  I was able to fill in a couple spots pretty well.  

Edited by thewanderlustking

I've used a few flex seal products. The glue is fantastic. Held the head of my weed eater on for a year and a half. The motor gave out before that glue. Huge sheer strength to hold something like that. The tape I used to fix my roof. Worked perfectly for 3 months and then it started leaking again. The tape had dissolved into a gooey mess and the parts that were still intact peeled off like they had no sticky left. Useless stuff. The liquid I haven't used enough to rate but beware of not having lasting effects. 

Linda S

I'm using the tape as a "UV" protector for my roll up awning. With the awning rolled up I put a double wide strip of the tape on the exposed part of the awning fabric. Two years, so far so good.

There is no puddling to deal with so that may have help it survive. If I have to redo it every 3/4 years it will be worth it.

I think for roof work Eternabond is what you should use

Crap.  Well hey as I edited yesterday, I already put the Flex Seal spray down pretty thick...  I didn't go look at it yet tonight, it takes 48hrs to fully set up so I figured I would take a look tomorrow.  If it looks like I can fill the void with it, I will give it a shot and realize it is likely not going to last too long.  I want to redcoat the whole roof soon, but I need some satisfaction (like being able to drive it somewhere) out of it before I drop lots (or well any more lol) of money on it.   

I guess for now the saving grace of this ghetto fix (hey the cans specifically say for RV use!!!) is that the AC cover will be covering it up.  

I will HAVE TO make a close roof inspections part of a six month maintenance check, or pre trip inspection.

I will post up tomorrow how it is turning out.  Also expect to see an update in 6-12 months when I go take a long term look at it.  

As for the longer term redcoat the roof plan, I will use that Eternabond.  I have heard it mentioned a few times now.