New to the website

Howard1030

Just bought a 1983. Sunrader 18ft It's in really bad shape inside. Motor has only fifty-eight thousand miles. I worked in the RV business. And Elkhart, Indiana for 30 years I live in Tennessee now. I have 7 Toyota trucks. From the 80s This is my first encounter with one of these are very hard to find here. It still has the five lug on the back. I am thinking about taking 1983 four-wheel drive frame and start getting it ready. To throw the six lug axle on the back Can anyone tell me? Did they do modifications to add the four-wheel drive? Or was it just a regular 4 wheel drive frame?

00g0g_207j0uWOWkX_600x450.jpg

2 hours ago, Howard1030 said:

Just bought a 1983. Sunrader 18ft It's in really bad shape inside. Motor has only fifty-eight thousand miles. I worked in the RV business. And Elkhart, Indiana for 30 years I live in Tennessee now. I have 7 Toyota trucks. From the 80s This is my first encounter with one of these are very hard to find here. It still has the five lug on the back. I am thinking about taking 1983 four-wheel drive frame and start getting it ready. To throw the six lug axle on the back Can anyone tell me? Did they do modifications to add the four-wheel drive? Or was it just a regular 4 wheel drive frame?

00g0g_207j0uWOWkX_600x450.jpg

Hi there. Im also a newbe. From what i understand the factory 18 ft sunraders are just long bed toyota frames. Only the rear of the frame has extensions for the camper. So using a 4x4 frame would need extension in back added. In my case i have 21ft im keeping the 2x4 frame and converting it to 4x4. Going good so far i got the front done!

The 4x4 Sunraders were built on 4x4 truck frames and yes they added extensions to the rear. Frame itself didn't need to be extended because the 18 footers have a wheel base of 112 inches same as the long bed trucks. Earlier 21 footers do have internal frame extensions with most having a wheel base of 142 inches. Longer than the later trucks made after Toyota started making their extended truck with a 137 inch wheels base

Linda S