Thanks Linda.

5500 lbs. that was with a 1/4 tank of fuel, no water in any tank, no passengers or gear.

i am going to have Alcan Spring build new springs for the front and rear. I may add a leaf to the rear passenger spring as it holds the fuel and fresh water.

I was reccomended bilstein shocks by a local 4x4 shop.

If anyone has any other advice with replacing my suspension I would gladly accept it.  Currently the ride is so rough I have a hard time driving it.

thanks

I bet there's nothing left of your leaf spring bushings. They will make the ride pretty jarring. I would also go with the old man emu springs. A few hundred dollars instead of, let me guess, somewhere in the thousands? They also already 6 leaves. And yes Bilsteins. Shop around price here also varies widely

Linda S

Rear wheels? Single, fake dually or real dually

It has real duelies. It went through the recall, was one of the first things I verified.  I purchased about a year ago from the original owner with about 70000 miles. I’ve been working on it, and using it as a ski camper.

4 custom leaf springs was around $1000, built to the specifications provided (which I am figuring out). 

Sorry, I cannot actually make out the old man emu chart. Can someone enlighten me more on this route for springs?

i would like a little more clearance....

Are you referring to traditional air suspension...?

thanks again, you experts are great

Well this gross vehicle weight stuff apparently is confusing to even the manufacturers. Toyota raised the GVWR for the cab and chassis from 4825 in 1984 to 5500 in 85 with zero changes to the frame or suspension. His weight in totally in the right range especially considering he has the axle upgrade. Ya know Greg's Sunrader weighed in at over 7000lbs or something near that. 

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

Well this gross vehicle weight stuff apparently is confusing to even the manufacturers. Toyota raised the GVWR for the cab and chassis from 4825 in 1984 to 5500 in 85 with zero changes to the frame or suspension. His weight in totally in the right range especially considering he has the axle upgrade. Ya know Greg's Sunrader weighed in at over 7000lbs or something near that. 

Linda S

Linda,

I found a similar disparity for my 1979. Seems Toyota upgraded to a larger tire on the c&c allowing for increased weight. You might want to check the factory tire ratings between 1984 and 1985.

No Tom they only built the truck so that's all they had to comply too. Needless to say though almost every 4x4 Sunrader ever built is still on the road and you do have the full float dually so it's not something I would worry about.

Fred you were right on about the tires. 84 to 85 they went from a 7.50x14 bias ply tire to the 185r14 tires we use today in 85. Good call

Linda S

4 hours ago, linda s said:

Well this gross vehicle weight stuff apparently is confusing to even the manufacturers.

I'm confident that the manufacturers (i.e. Toyota) understood what GVWR meant at least as well as any of us 'amateurs' do. Perhaps the motorhome manufacturer's (Sunrader and Odyssey) misunderstanding explains why so few 4x4s were built. And how the whole Foolie/Axle Debacle happened.  :)

There's a lot more to the GVWR than tire ratings.

thanks for sharing your knowledge, it is much appreciated.  I will update once I make a choice. I think I may go the custom route. I’m concermed even with the extra leaf the emu springs may not be enough once I’m fully loaded over 6000 lbs

Just in case your interested. Sacramento Spring makes custom springs and they are highly recommended by the 4x4 crowd. A friend of mine had work done on his Sunrader and said they were great. instead of sending some company specs, I would always go with an real expert who can see my vehicle and design the spring hands on and install them. Look here

http://sacspring.com/

Linda S

Thanks Linda,

I called them and they seem like the local guys to go with, as they have made springs for sunraders and dolphins in the past.  I am going to source the shocks and set up a time soon to drive out to Sacramento and drop it off.

Anyone have a part number for the bilstein shocks?

Thanks,

These are Bilsteins shocks for 1984 toyota pickup 4x4 (lifted), not sure if they are applicable for the sunrader weight and duelie rear though.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/bilstein-4-5100-series-shocks-for-most-lifted-trucks-with-shock-boots-gas-charged-shockingbil5100/_/R-BBGL-SHOCKINGBIL5100

Yes 15” wheels all around. 

So so it looks like it’s the same style shocks for 4wd/Motorhome.  Possibly the weight rating and travel is different.

C445ECD0-F299-49FA-88B3-A4A73B9396B3.jpeg

B94C12F0-9F3D-445B-9D45-70903B8828D1.jpeg

27186AD5-1F55-47D6-91C9-814B0B2AD3CE.jpeg

104FFEF7-B42B-4274-AC59-41F2178C1CD9.png

D7E88547-5355-4662-BC71-ECBBDC028292.jpeg

18EDE0E5-F11E-409F-BACD-75CB0BE6DD64.jpeg

0004AC68-1561-4EA3-B3E7-5DF837C66204.jpeg

4AE64676-5916-4101-930D-3A2176715FD6.jpeg

Edited by Ski Tom

Tom what is that bar anchored to your leaf springs just behind the axle. It's holding the rig far above your bump stops and maybe negating any cushioning effect from your shock. Never seen anything like that before. It's not a sway bar I don't think. Bet you have a pretty hard ride there. It is not stock

Linda S

Its a sway bar, but its mounted weird. Linda is right about possible axle travel reduction. Remove the rear duallys from one side and see if the axle mount is going to hit anything.

There are perfectly fine sway bar mounts, unused on the axle. If the current mounts hits something just remount the bar.

Derek,

The shocks appear to be older Rancho with adjustment dials.  They are pretty worn down, ill see if i can get a part number off of them.  I found that Rancho makes shocks for lifted applications as well, but i have heard mixed reviews.

Correct, it is a sway bar, I was actually studying it last night when i was under the rig.  It attaches on each side from a stud descending from the frame, to the top of the leaf springs through a bracket then across to the other.  I was trying to understand the articulation of the rear suspension with this linkage.  The upper connection seems like it would inhibit up and down travel of the suspension, as it is limited to the flex of the bushings.

How much handling would i sacrifice if I remove this sway bar?  Do must sunraders have rear sway bars of a different style?  I do have to say it does handle surprisingly well on windy mountain roads, but the back feels like it has zero suspension.

The front has SenSen shocks, appear to be the originals.

image.png.8ebb997a8ac4513fed640e6a698b22bd.png

I would bet Sacramento Spring will want you to remove it. They have to anyway to install your new leaf springs. There are other options available but maybe they have something they think does a better job

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=23445

I have a sway bar on my 86 Sunrader and it handles quite well on windy roads too. Sway bars are supposed to restrict side to side sway not up and down movement. Push hard on your rear bumper platform or better yet jump on it and see it there's any bounce at all. There should be. 

Linda S

Awesome.  Looks like i need to hunt down one of those sway bars and swap it out.  Have not found a direct replacement on line yet.  Derek, do you springs rest on top of your rear end or are they below?

I may remove the current bar before bringing it in for the springs just out of curiosity.  The rear end is stiff as a rock.