Tires! Tires!

Joyce87

So I need new tires...mine are 9 yrs old and need replaced. Both bids I got from Big O and Tire Pro was over $1000 for 6 tires mounted and balanced. Anyone have a cheaper place or source? What tire is everyone running now? I’ve looked on Amazon but am confused as to which ones to buy....radials? All season? One of the quotes was for Yokohama LT185R14 D

Here are some tires for a reasonable price. As you can see the Yokohama's are the most expensive. Are they better than the others? I don't think so. The most popular tire for the last few years has been the Hankook. 

https://www.tires-easy.com/tires/185-Blank-14

Yes this would require that you actually lift some tires and put them in your camper to get them installed. Call local  independent tire shops or even some gas stations for installation.  Installation should be no more than 30 bucks a tire so for a little work you save 400 dollars. 

Linda S

I just got 6 Hankooks mounted, balanced, and installed at Discount tire for $640. They even disposed of my old ones for that.
I did have to call them ahead of time to order the tires as they do not keep them in stock.

Thank you! I just called Discount Tire about 20 miles from me and they quoted me $760 out the door for Hankook Summer tires (not all terrain) I’ll also look at the tire-easy but by with shipping I bumps the price up. But still cheaper than over $1000! Thank you! And who owns the sweet littleToyota rig in Camp Verde at a covered storage yard??? 

Those Hankooks tires are great! we love them; there is another Chinese brand which is cheaper but I didn't trust those.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a new front tires from Les Schwab. The four in rear were replaced by the previous owners not too long before I bought it. The two I got came out to less than $200 after disposal fees and balancing, so I can't imagine it costing more than $600-700 for all 6. Great part about Les Schwab is their 30-70,000 mile warranty that come with each new tire, depending on the model. I have heard the warranty may be contingent on getting an alignment in their shop. They will air them up for you anytime you stop in, which is great, since I find airing up my tires to be one of the simplest, yet one of my least favorite chores.

13 hours ago, dolphinthedesert said:

I just got a new front tires from Le Schwab. The four in rear were replaced by the previous owners not too long before I bought it. The two I got came out to less than $200 after disposal fees and balancing, so I can't imagine it costing more than $600-700 for all 6. Great part about Le Schwab is their 30-70,000 mile warranty that come with each new tire, depending on the model. I have heard the warranty may be contingent on getting an alignment in their shop. They will air them up for you anytime you stop in, which is great, since I find airing up my tires to be one of the simplest, yet one of my least favorite chores.

Exactly what tires did you get at a chain store for that price. I know they used to carry Thunderer Ranger but what are they offering now. 

Linda S

That's why I asked. If they are offering a similar tire, I would like to know what it is. Lots of Les Schwab's, they do have good service but I'm not going to send someone there unless I know what they are getting. Sounds too cheap to me. 

Linda S

I did my usual 'Vehicle Search' on their site (1986 VW Vanagon) and it came back with a 185/75R14 tire. No bueno for us. :(

Maybe they realized that they were selling so few of the 185R14 tires that it wasn't worth stocking them any more. Especially as people seem to be becoming more reluctant accepting tires that have been sitting on a shelf for a year or two. I suppose you could ask them if they can still be special ordered.

To determine the right tire for your rig you divide the weight you expect to carry by number of tires. I have a dually, so if the weight of my RV was 6000, each of my 6 tires would need to safely support 1000lbs. 

Think of it like the game stiff as a board, light as a feather. Weight distribution amongst more than one support means less weight each support must carry!

16 minutes ago, dolphinthedesert said:

To determine the right tire for your rig you divide the weight you expect to carry by number of tires. I have a dually, so if the weight of my RV was 6000, each of my 6 tires would need to safely support 1000lbs. 

Think of it like the game stiff as a board, light as a feather. Weight distribution amongst more than one support means less weight each support must carry!

I'm not quite sure where you're going with this. Are you trying to say your motorhome is OK with tires smaller than Ford fits to a Focus?

That is ridiculous. My factory dually one year newer than yours has a tag from Toyota on it saying I need 185R14 tire with a load max of 1800 plus lbs. So you know better than Toyota what our rigs need? I think not. Do you even have a full float axle on your rig?

Linda S

Considering 2/3 to 3/4 of your total vehicle weight rests over the rear axle, your thinking process is flawed.

Have fun with your choice of tires. Be sure to secure good roadside service so when those babies POP you’ll have a ride back home.

Don’t forget to factor in potentially loosing one tire on a duel rear wheel. And compression load when you hit a bump or go over a pothole. The manufacturer knows what load ratings your vehicle needs.

Edited by fred heath

1 hour ago, fred heath said:

Considering 2/3 to 3/4 of your total vehicle weight rests over the rear axle ...

The GAWRs reflect ~1/3 front and ~2/3 rear weight distribution. People who actually weigh their 'homes and post the results usually mirror this.

image.png.4f691222cb492fc687dc751e82f47c44.png

image.png.efc925be456f8de733110d4d6650389b.png

image.png.6c053f49359161272042e6673f2f4677.png

The most extreme 'abuse' I've come across is this poor 18' Sunrader! Rear axle GAWR for this year C&C would be ~2900 lb. NOT 4680 lb. :)

image.png.02958f48068b316fb373dccbb721417d.png

image.png.a33b529e0b1e6f7874c1e7b66183ff5e.png

17 hours ago, dolphinthedesert said:

Think of it like the game stiff as a board, light as a feather.

Never heard of it. Thanks to Google:- 

http://www.the13thfloor.tv/2016/01/20/light-as-a-feather-stiff-as-a-board-how-to-play-and-why-it-really-does-work/

Not really a conventional way to select tires!