Dear Group,

I found a 1984 Sunrader, it has the 5 lug axle which I know is a recall issue. Where could I find a 6 lug floating axle? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

2 hours ago, jhs said:

Dear Group,

I found a 1984 Sunrader, it has the 5 lug axle which I know is a recall issue. Where could I find a 6 lug floating axle? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

Do you have singles or duels on the back? If singles, your 5 lug is ok to use. If duels, depending on the weight of your rig you could go with a non-Toyota ff axle and switch to singles on the back.

Linda S is a great source for Toyota ff axles. Actually, she’s a great resource for any parts to fit these old rigs.

Fred,

It has duals on the back. I’m going to check with a shop close to me. This is a total rehab, but I like projects to a degree🙃. Thanks

Easiest and cheapest fix is to go to single wheels in the back. Upgrade to bigger tires. There are a couple of companies that make a 205r14 tire with a load capacity of over 2000 lbs. Add a nice sway bar for control and your good to go. Depending on the miles a careful check of the existing rear axle is important. You need to know if the duallies have already done some damage

Linda S

The nearest good dual wheel axle is about 500 miles away. If this is the only thing you'll be happy with I will post locations

• 3 months later...

Hey y’all, so I did the single wheel conversion to my 18’ Sunrader at the advice of a local Toyota (and all things suspension) expert. We used quality heavy load MT tires. We also upgraded to constant load old man EMU springs with 2.5” lift over stock, (which brought it about 4” higher than it was) and new Bilsteins all around. 

It drives great and feels way better. However, I still get harassed online by just about every Jerry who thinks they know everything and wants to make people feel inadequate. I think the real question is, is it worth it just to get people to shut up? 

But seriously, is it SAFE?  Should this continue to be accepted as an option or should the only acceptable option be a heavier 6 Lug axel? 

Best regards, 

Sam

894ADB95-B97D-480B-8FEF-CED911458518.jpeg

24 minutes ago, sealion said:

Hey y’all, so I did the single wheel conversion to my 18’ Sunrader at the advice of a local Toyota (and all things suspension) expert. We used quality heavy load MT tires. We also upgraded to constant load old man EMU springs with 2.5” lift over stock, (which brought it about 4” higher than it was) and new Bilsteins all around. 

It drives great and feels way better. However, I still get harassed online by just about every Jerry who thinks they know everything and wants to make people feel inadequate. I think the real question is, is it worth it just to get people to shut up? 

But seriously, is it SAFE?  Should this continue to be accepted as an option or should the only acceptable option be a heavier 6 Lug axel? 

Best regards, 

Sam

894ADB95-B97D-480B-8FEF-CED911458518.jpeg

Details on the wheels and tires installed? And the Bilstein shock?

What you have done is WAY safer than the original set up. Although it is not as good as the 1 ton axle. Why?? Age/condition  of your OEM axles, flat tires and crosswinds.

A sorta safety scale. Original set up. 50%...Your set up 85-90%... A 1 ton 100%

As you can see from my post above I have no problem with your switch to single wheels. I've recommended it a number of times. Yes people can be know-it-all's if they think your doing something wrong but just tell them the axles weren't the problem. The foolie duallies were the problem and you got rid of them. There are Toyota based campers all over the world running on single tires with an axle not much different from yours.  6 lug duallies were only made for the American market. Is the rest of the world stupid or just smart enough not to overbuild on the existing frame. Enjoy your camper and don't let the know-it-all's bother you

Linda S

Tires are  Gtradial LT 235/75 R15 104/101S M+S 1,985 LB Load rate for single Tire 

Wheels are steel 10 wides 

Bilsteins are the Yellow and Blue ones. Forgetting the number offhand.  Thinking about upgrading to the silvers.  

21 minutes ago, sealion said:

1,985 LB Load rate for single Tire 

A bit closer to the limit than I'd like for my own use. Best try hard to not load it up too much and respect the GVWR of 4825lb. :)

Is the 10" rim width a typo? The 235/75R15 are supposed to be on a 7" width maximum.