I was under the impression the toys in years 87 and later have not only the 6 lug front end but one ton front brakes? Am I wrong? I'm looking at a front end out of a 90s sunrader but the front end looks to have just wheel adapters from 5 lug to 6 lug. Are the calipers and rotors larger? Or is it just adapters put on? Can anyone help me out on this?

No one knows huh. I been asking hard questions lately I don't ever get much of a response 

Its one of those kinda sorta things. It depends on what the RV mfg started with.

The standard pre 87 pickup used a 9.75 x .83" thick vented rotor with a 2" caliper piston.  The pre 87 HD (not 1 ton) chassis used a 10.1" x .945" thick with a 2" piston.

The later 1 ton used the big rotor with a 3" caliper piston.

They all used a 5 bolt rotor with a FACTORY 5/6 adapter. The factory adapter is iron and AFAIK the aftermarket adapters are aluminum

Thank you WME.

Im picking up a front assembly from a 1990 sunrader.  Do you know if that will bolt up to my 85 ? I want the bigger brakes and all matching tires/rims

Well I got the whole front assembly off a 90s sunrader.  With 3 rims/tires for 200 bucks. Once it warms up a little here in Reno I'll be putting them on. I hope to get some detailed photos to help the next guy. 

20200117_081913.jpg

Also linda thank you for the link. It's a great read.

Good score. Depending on many things, you can rebuilt the bushings and ball joints OR a quick and dirty is pop the ball joins off the spindle and just bolt that on your ball joints and A-arms

The gentleman is Kurt and he is actually turning into a 4x4. He had to pull these parts to put in a solid axle. He does have a automatic transmission for sale. But the rig itself he is keeping 

Yep those look like the tires/rims in my garage 

• 1 month later...

well i did the swap last weekend and it turned out really good. I did take photos just need time to get them all together and put up. I will say this, you need to pull of the rotors, hubs, calipers, caliper bracket and the dust cover must be changed. 

the only difference i could see is the the calipers on the 1 ton are larger and the caliper mounting brackets mounting holes are slightly different and the dust covers look the same but they are not and need to be swapped out or ground down some.

but over all the job was pretty easy and if you have changed rotors on a vehicle this job should be easy for you as well. when i have a little time i will add photos. 

On 1/17/2020 at 10:34 AM, WME said:

Good score. Depending on many things, you can rebuilt the bushings and ball joints OR a quick and dirty is pop the ball joins off the spindle and just bolt that on your ball joints and A-arms

I ended up just pulling the rotors and calipers, caliper bracket and dust cover. I did put in all new bearings and races. 

• 3 months later...

That would be nice! My 86 has five lugs up front, and six in the back.

Yes mine did too. 

I have photos of the whole job, but the picture are too large to upload here 

I'm having trouble figuring out how to lower the quality on my galaxy s10