Roof Change

Douglas17313

QUESTION: I had an RV repair my roof. It was sagging abt 3 inches at the a/c. He stripped the roof and place domed steel trusses across the rig for greater strength. He then recommend that the aluminum roof be replaced because of all the holes that had been drilled into before. I agreed, but before he finished a rain storm went through the area and the interior got soaked. He's rebuilt the walls, insulation, cut out the floor, removed the furniture, but 2.5 years later he wouldn't finish the roof. Wood was cut, placed, and screwed into the trusses and covered the entire roof. My question is this: The RV dealer wants to charge me $3600 to complete the roof. They however will use EDPM that they guarantee for 12 years. In addition all of the vents, a/c, fantastic fan, refrigerator vents and ladder will all be placed back in their original position and hooked up. Is the EDPM ok or did the aluminum provide structural integrity to the coach.  I've also watched many a video on EDPM roof replacement and it may be hard, but it doesn't appear to be that difficult. I have plenty of time to complete the job. Is this a job to tough for a mechanically inclined beginner? Again, all teardown is complete, to finish the job everything needs to be put back and the EDPM aluminum needs to be installed.  Thanks for any reccomendations.

Both the aluminum and the EPDM need to be installed over a plywood base. They are not a complete roof by themselves. The strength comes from the plywood. If you think this place will do a good job go with the EPDM. You've been without your camper way too long. 

Linda S

Hope you did well in small claims