I installed a new transmission pan gasket and did not take note of the bolts as I removed them.   I have 8 bolts with a star on them, 3 bolts with the number 9 on them and 3 bolts with the number 4. Is there a certain scheme these bolts go in?

Somebody has been mucking about on your transmission.

The bolts with a 6 point star are SAE (American) the one with numbers are metric. A 1/4x20 bolt will fit in a 6x1.25 hole, not very well but it can be done.

Look carefully at the bolts with the numbers on the head. Metric will be marked like 4.8 or 8.8.

You need to see what metric bolt is needed and get a metric tap and clean out the threads and use new hardware.

3 hours ago, hamkid said:

Is it a problem that I used gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket?

Not at this instance, but next time the pan comes off you are going to be doing a lot of scraping laying on your back. What gasket sealer did you use??

Simple answer is a thin film of sealer on the pan and a thin film of grease on the transmission. That way the gasket comes of the transmission with out scraping and you can clean the pan on the work bench.

stop leaks, yes. Easy scrape no

Try here

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/oem/toyota~bolt~for~automatic~transmission~oil~pan~90119-06117.html?Make=Toyota&Model=Pickup&Year=1985&Submodel=&Filter=(d=USA;3=T1;7=RCB;9=HVY;13=IV)&Location=transmission-case-oil-pan-atm,,

Linda S

New part number has been changed to this

90080-11496

Bizarre that they said they couldn't get it for you. Same bolt is used on dozens of Toyota vehicles all the way up to 2016

Just looking at them are they all about the same size?? Take a metric one to your local NAPA store and see what they have. The problem going to be the holes that had SAE bolts in them, is there enough thread left to go back to metric bolts.

Worst case you may end up using an SAE tap and making all the bolts holes SAE. These are just simple bolts you don't need grade 8.

I ordered and installed the new bolts that Linda recommended. They seemed to install and tighten properly. It seems the threads are not damaged. Thanks for all the help!

On 1/4/2020 at 8:14 PM, hamkid said:

I installed a new transmission pan gasket and did not take note of the bolts as I removed them.   I have 8 bolts with a star on them, 3 bolts with the number 9 on them and 3 bolts with the number 4. Is there a certain scheme these bolts go in?

Sounds like someone has been there before. Have you all ready put it back together? It kind of sounds like you have some US standard bolts mixed in with metric. With the age they probably broke some bolts and repaired them with 1/4 20 bolts.