Toyota Sunrader 4x4 Conversion Project

Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful build with us. Did it feel funny driving with the front up like that? I have to admit I wandered around Verdi a little about a month ago before the covid thing exploded hoping to get a peek at your baby. Well I guess you guys weren't home. Glad it's all working great. Kind of knew from the build it would be. Instant this guy knows his sh-t

Linda S

KISS, spend $ on Old Man Emu springs or remove a leaf from the front springs

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great build!! Tons of skill and expertise there..

• Which rear box is that?
  • Is that a replacement AC? Does that only run on shore power or generator?
  • Regarding the heavier flywheel, is that something the 4 cyl turbo might benefit from too?

Thanks!

Wadingthroughlife I could be wrong but I am pretty sure the AC is a more modern Dometic unit.  If you really want to know look up Dometic Brisk Duo, and count the vent slats to verify it is the same.       

No idea on the rear box.  Zoom in and see if you can compare that to other online pictures.  The logo isn't very clear, but you might get lucky there.

Heavier flywheel in short will probably not do you any good, but this is speculation as we don't know what you have.  Obviously, first off you need to have a manual transmission.  Turbos usually like quick reving motors, this does the opposite and slows it down.  But it keeps momentum and lets a motor's rpms get much lower.  A turbo is NOT operating at these lower speeds.  This is meant for a 4x4 setup to crawl along slowly.    

These seem to be questions better answered in your own dedicated thread, as more specifics of your setup would be needed!  And we can go into much more detail without hijacking this thread anymore.     

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Love what you have done to your rig. We have a 1985 sunrader factory 4x4 and want to do something different with the wheels to get same size rims and tires all the way around. Tire availability is severly limited with the current set up. I'm going back and forth w.r.t. new 16 inch duallys with adapters, same size rims but different style on front (not a flipped dually). I like your approach going to single tire in back. My only concern is that airing those up to support the load would result in a harsh ride. Has this been an issue for you?

Thanks!