Hey guys, 
I have a 1985 New Horizon Nova Star in the UK, and am failing MISERABLY to find new brakes for it. 

Have been trawling the internet for what seems like forever, and coming up with either 5x110 discs or 6 lug ones.
Yet I believe it to be 5x114? (If someone could confirm or deny this it would be ideal)

Obviously with the back end being the US dually conversion i have NO idea whatsoever what I am supposed to look for for that...

If anyone could help I would be HUGELY grateful, given I have literally run out of places to look now, and sorting the brakes out is the last thing on the list before I can get out and use it..   

IMG_20191014_144147.jpg.c1ef28ae301aee0ddb5c168dff43e0a8.jpg 

Standard Toyota pickup front pads will work fine. Not sure what to tell you about the rear brakes. Another member might be able to help.

Not sure what the other numbers are about. The 5x114 refers to wheel lug nut spacing. Would have no bearing on the brakes. Good luck.

Edited by fred heath

How would the lug nut spacing not effect it? Discs with 6 holes wont fit on hubs with 5 studs will they... 

And my problem is I cant find the part number for the pads, and therefore dont know which ones to buy, the pads are not universal over all years.

Edited by Twitch

28 minutes ago, Twitch said:

How would the lug nut spacing not effect it? Discs with 6 holes wont fit on hubs with 5 studs will they... 

And my problem is I cant find the part number for the pads, and therefore dont know which ones to buy, the pads are not universal over all years.

Are you looking for pads? Or rotors? I interpreted your post to be looking for front pads and rear shoes. Try calling a parts place, they can help.

Thanks Derek. That looks like it could be of use. 

However the rotors advertised show as being 5x110 pattern again... Is this correct?

How do the rotors fit, are they not the usual slide over the studs fitment? It looked like the holes are threaded on the discs, are the discs bolt on??
If they are bolt on then perhaps I have been overlooking the correct part because I didnt realise they werent fitted in the conventional way.. 

And no, i was looking for front discs mainly, as they are the main things I cant find over here. And any information at all on the rear drum assembly, and where to buy replacement parts for that. Sadly no parts places here seem to be able to help at all. I've called all of them, but being a US import into the UK the reg doesnt come up on the computer systems at the parts places here so they just say they cant help. I've also been in touch with Toyota themselves, who also arent interested.  

I also have been reticent to just order stuff from Rockauto because its obviously more difficult to return from here if its wrong, and the last stuff I bought from there never arrived. 

Edited by Twitch

My vehicle is much older than yours. My rotors bolt to the hub assembly from the rear. Not the fit over most of us are used to seeing. I actually have to remove the hub assembly to access the rotor bolts. This could be your 5x110 measurement. Only way to know for sure is to pull the hub. Mine is a 1978, things may have changed since then.

5 minutes ago, fred heath said:

My vehicle is much older than yours. My rotors bolt to the hub assembly from the rear. Not the fit over most of us are used to seeing. I actually have to remove the hub assembly to access the rotor bolts. This could be your 5x110 measurement. Only way to know for sure is to pull the hub. Mine is a 1978, things may have changed since then.

Ahhhh okay.... I had that once before on something. I imagine it didnt have a complete redesign in that time, especially as almost everything I can find online (and I've been at it nonstop all day..) the discs are advertised as 5x110. They must be the same. Sadly it will be another week now until I get the chance to get up there and take anything apart to find out more. More waiting :( Dont enjoy this part. Almost regretting buying this now, its been nothing but hassle... 

The only component of your vehicle that would be US relative would be the coach and maybe rear axle. Everything else drivetrain wise is standard Toyota. Same as if you had a regular pickup truck.

For what it’s worth, I’m not all that impressed with rock auto. They do have some good deals, but by the time you pay shipping it’s not much cheaper than sourcing the parts locally. The good thing about buying local is if it doesn’t fit, it’s usually much easier to return.

Remember, think of your motorhome as a pickup truck with a camper attached. Makes parts sourcing much simpler.

One trick I use is I go to rock auto because they have a good parts interchange database. I’ll grab the part number then order through Amazon. The price is cheaper, and in US includes free shipping.

Edited by fred heath

Yep. Looks like Toyota didn’t change that much. Also, if your vehicle is a US import it should have an emissions label under the hood. The label should say “this vehicle conforms to all emissions required for 19XX vehicles “. This is only important if there was a change between 1984 and 1985. Many times motorhome manufacturers would buy a cab and chassis from an earlier year, but not complete the actual vehicle until the following year. Use whatever year the label says when sourcing parts.

5 hours ago, Twitch said:

Thanks Derek. That looks like it could be of use. 

However the rotors advertised show as being 5x110 pattern again... Is this correct?

How do the rotors fit, are they not the usual slide over the studs fitment? It looked like the holes are threaded on the discs, are the discs bolt on??
If they are bolt on then perhaps I have been overlooking the correct part because I didnt realise they werent fitted in the conventional way.. 

And no, i was looking for front discs mainly, as they are the main things I cant find over here. And any information at all on the rear drum assembly, and where to buy replacement parts for that. Sadly no parts places here seem to be able to help at all. I've called all of them, but being a US import into the UK the reg doesnt come up on the computer systems at the parts places here so they just say they cant help. I've also been in touch with Toyota themselves, who also arent interested.  

I also have been reticent to just order stuff from Rockauto because its obviously more difficult to return from here if its wrong, and the last stuff I bought from there never arrived. 

The front disks are age dependent the swap over rear is not, your front ones should be a 5 bolt hub that had different front brakes than the later 6 bolt. In the UK they had a "Stout" it was a long wheel base truck with a 1 ton diff. those will be the rear ones you are looking for.

Thank you so much for the help guys!! Seeing thr diagram of how they bolt to the back of the hub has completely cured that confusion and I reckon I should be able to find the right parts now. I was looking for slide on ones which would obviously be 5x114, so was never going to get anywhere. 

Yeah I have been looking for the standard pickup stuff, and have been on the hilux UK pages looking for help, but there are so few early hilux over here not many people have been much use. Now I know what I'm looking for things should get much easier. 

Looking for the hilux rear end won't be helpful because obviously the standard hilux didn't come with the dually rear axle so I'm still at a loss there... 

But hopefully if I can get new fronts and rebleed everything up then perhaps just adjusting the rear shoes might be sufficient... 

I'll keep you posted. 

7 minutes ago, linda s said:

I don't see anywhere how many lugs you have in the back. Did we ever establish that this motorhome got the axle upgrade? Kind of important when were talking about brakes

Linda S

I did mention in the original post it has the dually rear end. Hence my difficulty finding out what parts I need for that, as I know its not oem hilux. 

The point Linda is trying to make is has your axle been upgraded to the 6 lug full float axle?

Count the number of lug nuts on the rear wheels it should be 6. If only 5 lug nuts the axle really isn’t safe to drive with.

Oh sorry I thought I had made it clear. Do they not call the twin wheel 6 lug axles duallys in the US?? 

It does have the floating axle twin wheel 6 lug rear end. We call it the dually here, so that is what I meant in the original post, hence why I was confused by the question. 

It's not a Toyota axle though is it?!? 

Good to clarify that it's the FF axle. Yes, it's called a dually here too, but some people also call what I call 'foolies' (aftermarket dual rims on a 5 lug axle that were recalled) 'dually' too.

Yes, the FF axle is a Toyota part but as far as I can tell they were only ever fitted to the Hilux for the North American market. They are similar to the FF axle on the Toyota Coaster.

57072645_2435797809764249_2312531209596436480_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys. I established I have a friend who works for Toyota here, and he helped me find the fronts. And there is a place that will reline my rear shoes so should be all good now. 

Could you share what parts you ended up using and where you got them from for the benefit of other UK owners in the future. There aren't many, but they do turn up from time to time. Like you!

BTW, if you happen to know of someone looking for one:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324029268269?fbclid=IwAR142op4GOOeihuEzsqSMar0aJVEyNTi9Wj0CU0wxX_JKKQhAr3LmYiARFc