Tire chains

Sandune24

Hi all, 

Another question regarding dual tire chains, for emergency situations. I live in New York City and we have to move our Toy every 7 days on the street. We also get a fair amount of snow, as I am located right off of the Atlantic Ocean. What has been your experience and/or your recommendations.

Thank you in advanced.

You better check that 7 day rule again. New York City doesn't allow parking in a space or more than 24 hours. I used to have a boyfriend in the Bronx. His friend, the beat cop for that neighborhood , warned me to always draw my curtains closed so I didn't get hassled for RV parking. My van had a pop top so it wasn't real obvious. 

As far as chains, they are only required for severe snow emergency's. If it's not a snow emergency you had better not get caught with chains on. They damage the pavement.  I grew up upstate where it really snows and I never put chains on until I came to California. You certainly don't need them to drive across the street.

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

You better check that 7 day rule again. New York City doesn't allow parking in a space or more than 24 hours. I used to have a boyfriend in the Bronx. His friend, the beat cop for that neighborhood , warned me to always draw my curtains closed so I didn't get hassled for RV parking. My van had a pop top so it wasn't real obvious. 

As far as chains, they are only required for severe snow emergency's. If it's not a snow emergency you had better not get caught with chains on. They damage the pavement.  I grew up upstate where it really snows and I never put chains on until I came to California. You certainly don't need them to drive across the street.

Linda S

Yes Linda, 

I did check and since I don’t have commercial plates the 100th Pct. said it was okay. I am not parking in front of any homes and not violating any other parking restrictions. So, I am good till this Thurs. 😂. As far as the tire chains I was wondering are you carrying them in case of emergency? Thank you for your response.

I live in California now. No chains onboard unless I'm heading to the mountains or need to go the Redding, over mountains. Put them on outside rear duallies only and try to find ones that fit tightly and are easy to install. They make ones that are really smooth. Mine have cables instead of chains. I do see some now that are just plastic straps you install individually. They would take up no space at all but with the dually wheels your going to have to have some kind of hook to catch it behind the wheel and bring it around. Shouldn't be too hard to do. I may have to buy these. Looks easier than mine and not expensive

https://www.amazon.com/KAIYANG-Anti-Slip-Portable-Anti-Skid-Emergency/dp/B07Y7QBWG1/ref=asc_df_B07Y7QBWG1/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=385644192904&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7366223856517101705&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013774&hvtargid=pla-843237215449&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=77759986959&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=385644192904&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7366223856517101705&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1013774&hvtargid=pla-843237215449

Linda S

The last rwd I drove was my 2003 S2000, that cautions me to prepare. I want something for any type of situation. 

TireChain.com 305/75-24.5, 305/75 24.5 Strap On Emergency Tire Chains Set of 2

1. TireChain.com 305/75-24.5, 305/75 24.5 Strap On Emergency Tire Chains Set of 2
  2. 51wL4vBzaWL._AC_SY400_.jpg
  3. 51%2BbsizowbL._AC_SY200_.jpg
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Currently unavailable 
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

With tire chains like that your situation is going to be damaged tires. It's a dually, Get down and look how close the tires are together. And look at the size of your tires. Those chains are for huge tires not our puny 14 inchers

Linda S

I don't think there is enough room between the wheels on a toy home, you would run a risk of damaging the other tire.

If you need tire chains on your Toyota MH, stay home or stay put. After all you have your home with you.

If you just have to go, here are what dually chains look like. Also here is a quick way to mount a single chain on the out side tire. A FWD cable has the thinnest back side.

https://www.tirechain.com/DUALTRIPLE.htm

One more thing, the 87 on rigs have 3 hand hole rims, so you can only get 3 of the "emergency" chains on.

22 minutes ago, WME said:

... so you can only get 3 of the "emergency" chains on.

When I used them, it was only to 'claw' my way out of a snow bank (or similar). I never considered driving any sort of distance at any sort of speed. One per wheel was often enough.

These days I just carry a pair of these I bought at a farm auction decades ago for a buck. :)

image.png.56f35fcbb285da901b2f9569ba214ada.png

The last rwd I drove was my 2003 S2000, that cautions me to prepare. I want something for any type of situation. 

TireChain.com 305/75-24.5, 305/75 24.5 Strap On Emergency Tire Chains Set of 2

1. TireChain.com 305/75-24.5, 305/75 24.5 Strap On Emergency Tire Chains Set of 2
  2. 51wL4vBzaWL._AC_SY400_.jpg
  3. 51%2BbsizowbL._AC_SY200_.jpg
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Currently unavailable 
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

I am happy for the feed back on the tire chains. Basic steel always worked and I am trying to keep it simple ...while being prepared. 
Thank you 😊 I always like more brains involved 👣

Just the duallys and the heavy weight in the back give you more traction that a 2wd car. Thick steel chains are not an option. A smoother cable type chain is more than enough. I drove through a white out blizzard a year ago driving across the Sierra's in a 2wd Explorer. Elevation at the pass is around 8000ft and the snow was very deep on the road. Easy install smooth cable chains. I had no problem at all with traction. Only problem I really had was seeing the road.  

Linda S