Cannot identify leak source

neilp

I bought my Toymo about 6 months ago and every time I have used it there are small damp areas underneath. Mostly under the drivers side rear corner and just in front of the rear axle on the same side. I've attached pics that show that there are small holes that appear to be leaking the water. I've wondered if this is just condensation coming of the roof? I had this looked at by a very well regarded RV repair shop and they found nothing to be concerned  about, but my worries persist! I've looked everywhere inside and no sign of any leaks, under the sinks or shower pan etc.

I've thought about drainage from the AC but no AC use overnight and you can see the results now. I just pressurized the water system yesterday, using a pressure control thing, as I was working on the water heater(that's another story).

All thoughts welcome!

TIA

overview.jpg

rear drain.jpg

front.jpg

When you turn on your water pump when all faucets are closed does it keep recycling or does it turn off?

When I use the pump it only cycles when water is used and for maybe 30 secs afterwards - I think that should be ok?  I think the issue maybe something to do with the city water connection. I had the city water connector replaced and I'm wondering if a leak was caused when that was done. 

On 11/17/2019 at 4:07 PM, neilp said:

When I use the pump it only cycles when water is used and for maybe 30 secs afterwards - I think that should be ok?  I think the issue maybe something to do with the city water connection. I had the city water connector replaced and I'm wondering if a leak was caused when that was done. 

That seems a long time to keep cycling after the water is turned off. Do you have your rig hooked up to the city water line? It creates a lot of pressure!

Well if plumbing was leaking your pump would cycle. There is little air in the system and water does not compress so a system like that is more likely to cycle. A tight system how ever should not cycle once it's through pumping for a long time it is all ways a good ideal to turn off the pump after use. If you find it cycling what you might try is draining the hot water tank and then refilling it that will give the system an air cushion to help maintain pressure. 

I was using city water as I usually do when camping. I have dry camped and used the pump in the past so that info was from recollection. It did not seem to cycle more than pumps in other RVs that I have used.

I think I will remove the new city water connector on the camper and see if I can see a leak inside there.

One other thought occurred to me: could the drain valves be stuck open fractionally? I did drain the system as we had a freeze a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure where the drain lines terminate underneath?

2 hours ago, Derek up North said:

Typically, the water drains on the ground directly below the valve(s).

That what I thought. When I drained the tanks it seemed was going everywhere but it was all underneath and came around the sides grey tank. 

I'll drain the lines again and pay more attention!

• 3 weeks later...

This is still driving me nuts. I took it to an RV repair place that I have used before but they could not even be bothered to plug in a water line. Their diagnosis was a leaking water heater. 

Well, I went camping this weekend and got my fingers as far under the water heater tank as is possible. No water present. Interestingly, likely due to the angle of the camp site, the water was dripping off the passenger rear corner this time. Again a steady drip about one drip every two seconds. I'm very glad that I did not give in to the temptation to order a new heater before I went!

There is no sign of water inside around any of the plumbing that I can see or feel. There was a less frequent drip half way along the back bumper area but impossible to tell where it was coming from.

An RV water system is only so complex. Trace every single water line from origin to end and you should be able to find the leak. Try it with the pump on/off and the faucets open/closed, try hooked to city water, try with water tanks empty/full, etc etc 

16 hours ago, neilp said:

Interestingly, likely due to the angle of the camp site, the water was dripping off the passenger rear corner this time. Again a steady drip about one drip every two seconds.

If you live somewhere where it hasn't rained for a long time, this probably won't apply. Is it possible the water leak you're seeing is rain water that has made it's way in and is accumulating somewhere and then leaking out as you reposition your MH? If it's not from your plumbing, I can't think of anywhere else it could be coming from.

Derek, I've thought about other causes like you suggestion. However it only seems to leak when the water system is (or has recently been) pressurized. I was thinking it could be condensation from the AC or fridge at one point. 

I'm totally our of ideas. I think when I next have some time and it's dry out I'll connect the water line and lie underneath and watch the leak start and see if that identifies where it originates. I'm beginning to thin it may be a cracked waste tank. I have not checked them yet. But why only when the water system has pressure?

11 hours ago, Odyssey 4x4 said:

An RV water system is only so complex. Trace every single water line from origin to end and you should be able to find the leak. Try it with the pump on/off and the faucets open/closed, try hooked to city water, try with water tanks empty/full, etc etc 

I have inspected every inch of the inside plumbing and found nothing. I've isolated it to when the system has pressure - the city water line certainly triggers the leak. I have not tried filling the freshwater tank / pump. I guess I'll add that to the to do list in case it sheds some light.

I appreciate the ideas! I WILL find this leak!

19 minutes ago, RVdaytrader said:

Do you use a pressure regulator to lower the city water pressure?...really don't need more than 40# and city water is usually a lot higher than that.

Yes I do - although I have wondered if I should get another one - although mines is only 6 months old.

14 hours ago, Maineah said:

Buy a brass one.

The one I have is brass. In fact I think I have another one that I found in the camper after I bought it. I'll try that one out and see what happens.