Hello

I need to buy tires for my new to me 79 Heritage and long story short I wanted some help figuring out the right ones...

It currently has
Front 195/75R14
Back 235/60R15

The basic consensus over on Facebook (TMC) was 185r14 Load range D for all 6 tires...but the current back 4 tires are 15in rims (and seem original since the original hubcaps are intact) 

Does anyone know what I should use? 

5A670E9A-B61E-4C5E-80CE-0371AE85BD71.jpeg

24 minutes ago, Derek up North said:

Personally, I'd change to 14" Toyota rims all around with 185R14  LR D tires. Same size spare for all axles. Downside? Not being able to keep the matching hubcaps that appear to be original!

Would the lug pattern be the same?? 

https://www.tires-easy.com/195-70-15/thunderer-tires/ranger-r402/tirecode/TH0312

These will fit your rig if all your rims are 15”. I’ve been running their 205’s for 2 years with no problem. The original 185’s were 25.6 in diameter, these are 25.8. Shouldn’t affect your speedometer readings at all. Not bad at $79 per tire.

1 hour ago, fred heath said:

https://www.tires-easy.com/195-70-15/thunderer-tires/ranger-r402/tirecode/TH0312

These will fit your rig if all your rims are 15”. I’ve been running their 205’s for 2 years with no problem. The original 185’s were 25.6 in diameter, these are 25.8. Shouldn’t affect your speedometer readings at all. Not bad at $79 per tire.

So should I use those on the back (15 inch) and the 185r14 on the front (14 inch)?

Or do I need them all the same size? 

Sorry if silly questions I am new.....

5 minutes ago, Becky_Wilde said:

So should I use those on the back (15 inch) and the 185r14 on the front (14 inch)?

Or do I need them all the same size? 

Sorry if silly questions I am new.....

Look at all your tires front and back. If they all say 15” you’re fine. I’m guessing they are because all your hubcaps match.

The back tires are the crucial ones. They carry most of your coach weight. Front tires are not that important. If you have 14” on the front, any 14” tire will work. Doesn’t have to be 8 ply.

13 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Look at all your tires front and back. If they all say 15” you’re fine. I’m guessing they are because all your hubcaps match.

The back tires are the crucial ones. They carry most of your coach weight. Front tires are not that important. If you have 14” on the front, any 14” tire will work. Doesn’t have to be 8 ply.

The front are 14

the back 4 are  all 15

Thank you for this....the guy at the tire place told me I had to upgrade the front to 15

I just want to be sure it’s ok to have the two different sizes (14 on front and 15 on back) on there.....

11 minutes ago, Becky_Wilde said:

The front are 14

the back 4 are  all 15

Thank you for this....the guy at the tire place told me I had to upgrade the front to 15

I just want to be sure it’s ok to have the two different sizes (14 on front and 15 on back) on there.....

There’s no problem with two different sizes. Just means you’ll have to carry two different spares. You can upgrade to 15” on the front. Any 15” wheel with a 5x4.5 lug pattern will work. Jeep wheels are most commonly used. Summit racing has some white spoked wheels for about $50 each that will work fine. Free shipping last time I checked. Don’t worry about the original Toyota bolt pattern. Toyota wheels are “lug centric “. As long as the center hole is large enough, they’ll work fine. Don’t let the tire person try to upsell you to a more expensive wheel. 🙂

3 minutes ago, fred heath said:

There’s no problem with two different sizes. Just means you’ll have to carry two different spares. You can upgrade to 15” on the front. Any 15” wheel with a 5x4.5 lug pattern will work. Jeep wheels are most commonly used. Summit racing has some white spoked wheels for about $50 each that will work fine. Free shipping last time I checked. Don’t worry about the original Toyota bolt pattern. Toyota wheels are “lug centric “. As long as the center hole is large enough, they’ll work fine. Don’t let the tire person try to upsell you to a more expensive wheel. 🙂

Thank you! 

2 minutes ago, Becky_Wilde said:

Thank you! 

Only bad thing is your front hubcaps will no longer fit.🙁

10 minutes ago, fred heath said:

Only bad thing is your front hubcaps will no longer fit.🙁

Actually, on second thought you could keep the 14” on the front (if you want to save the hubcaps). You have tag axles, so even if one rear tire goes flat, you still have   3 more to get you to a repair shop. You should be fine with whatever size spare tire your carrying. No need for 2 spare tires. If you loose a front 14”, the 15 will get you to a shop.

It came with different size tires and there is no reason to change it. D load tires are available in both sizes and those Thunderers Fred recommended would do the trick just fine. With a rig like that you need to celebrate it's uniqueness. Keep the wheel covers by all means.

Linda S

18 minutes ago, linda s said:

It came with different size tires and there is no reason to change it. D load tires are available in both sizes and those Thunderers Fred recommended would do the trick just fine. With a rig like that you need to celebrate it's uniqueness. Keep the wheel covers by all means.

Linda S

Good call Linda. I was originally thinking of my two different bolt patterns. I love those original hubcaps. Whatever spare the manufacturer provided (14 or 15”) will work just fine.

Becky, when you change the tires, take a picture of the rear axles. I’ve always wanted to see how they setup the tag axles on the Toyota.

5 hours ago, fred heath said:

I’ve always wanted to see how they setup the tag axles on the Toyota.

I'd be curious to see their solution as well. I've seen two different designs and I can't say either is very impressive unless you're a fan of Rube Goldberg.

https://imgur.com/a/9lYSe