Looking to buy small RV

butterflygal

My husband and I are looking for a small  RV that can go in the outback roads. We think a Toyota might be the answer as we have had 4runners, T100, Tundra etc and like their reliability and ruggedness. We've had a 4WC on a Toyota pickup but we no longer want cabover sleeping. So the only candidate we've found so far is a Chinook. Is there a website where we can compare features of different Toyota RV's? We only can afford an older model and it doesn't have to have 4 wheel drive but that would be nice. It would need good clearance like our 4Runner though for the roads we drive for wildlife research. Any recommendations from you seasoned owners out there?

Sorry, ''High ground clearance toyota motor home" is an Oxymoron. There just ain't such a thing. Mainly due to that the MH's came with 14" rims. If you can find a VERY RARE 4wd they came with 15" rims which will give you a larger selection of tires.

IF your willing to drive on graded forest service roads the standard Toyhouse does good. But ruts and washouts are a nono.

Have you thought about one of the Off Road Australian style trek camp trailers? Or even a small normal tent camper with oversized rims and wheels

On 11/1/2019 at 11:26 PM, butterflygal said:

a small  RV that can go in the outback roads. We think a Toyota might be the answer

As mentioned, unless you are able to find a custom 4x4 Chinook or modified Sunrader it's unlikely that you would be happy with a stock ToyHome (or 'YoterHome') on back roads.  The stock Toyota Chinook is on a pretty wimpy truck, but you may get lucky and find someone who is selling a modified one on craigslist or similar.

I've got a stock 21' Sunrader and the 1-ton suspension with 6-lug dual wheel rears is pretty darn sturdy.  I have worked to get the highest ground clearance possible without major modifications and it's still pretty low.  And heavy (though you could likely due with a lighter/shorter model).  And its only rear wheel drive.  Despite all of that I have no problem taking a forest service road or similar.  I've run into problems a few times but it's been able to get through stuff that surprises folks.  Still, I've had to turn back due to steep hills and deep ruts - stuff any 4x4 would have no problem with.