Going to have to do the head gaskets. I have heard to only use the "new" OEM head gaskets and I have heard that anything other than Felpro is OK. There are huge price differences between the two kits, Evergreen on Amazon and OEM at Yota shop. Advice?

12 hours ago, Utah-Clay said:

Going to have to do the head gaskets. I have heard to only use the "new" OEM head gaskets and I have heard that anything other than Felpro is OK. There are huge price differences between the two kits, Evergreen on Amazon and OEM at Yota shop. Advice?

My rule of thumb is anything that is critical to operation or difficult to get to I only use OE, Aisin or Denso.  I have read about counterfeit OE parts on Ebay so will no longer use them as a source.  Head gasket, timing belt those types of jobs would take me days and it is not worth saving a few dollars and have to redo it. 

Recently replaced the fan clutch with after market, much cheaper, it is right there easy to access, available everywhere so why not save a few bucks.     It sounded funny, how it could sound funny is beyond me.  So I returned it and installed an Aisin and now happy with it.   Aisin and Denso are Toyota suppliers. 

Did you call a dealer to see if the special service campaign work had been done? Head gasket replacements are still being done. If yours doesn't qualify for that still buy factory. It's a big job and you only want to do it once. Buy the best parts possible. Don't forget to get new head bolts

Linda S

Attached is a procedure for the headgasket.  Perhaps it can be helpful to you.  I had originally planned to do just my headgasket but I ended up doing the HG plus a new head, timing chain, and entire front end kit (water/oil pumps/cover).  It's much easier and cost effective to take care of any of that stuff if it's needed while you are doing the HG.

Linda has a point about getting a quality gasket and related parts like the head bolts.  It's a long and involved procedure and you don't want to have to do it twice.

HG edited procedure.pdf

I called Toyota Corp and was told the SSC is no longer honored. Asked again, same answer so doing it myself. I think I am going to get the Yotashop kits that are OEM, do all of the frontend while It is apart.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:35 AM, AtlantaCamper said:

Attached is a procedure for the headgasket.  Perhaps it can be helpful to you.  I had originally planned to do just my headgasket but I ended up doing the HG plus a new head, timing chain, and entire front end kit (water/oil pumps/cover).  It's much easier and cost effective to take care of any of that stuff if it's needed while you are doing the HG.

Linda has a point about getting a quality gasket and related parts like the head bolts.  It's a long and involved procedure and you don't want to have to do it twice.

HG edited procedure.pdf 386.57 kB · 1 download

This looks great but I think it is for the 4 cylinder. I'm doing a 3.0, I appreciate you sharing though. 

24 minutes ago, Utah-Clay said:

I called Toyota Corp and was told the SSC is no longer honored.

I would ask for it in writing on Toyota letterhead. 'Being over' has been reported for years, yet people still report having it done. Which would agree with Toyota's own definition of an SSC on their website. "... without an expiration date." :)

https://www.toyota.com/recall

HG SSC (V06) - Definition.jpg