New Horizon Nova Star?

rvplease

While Hunting for a unicorn (large Sunrader, rear dinette), I came across a Nova Star, made by New Horizon(?).  Does anyone have any information on these? Thanks!

Hello Derek, thank you - do you have any thoughts on the  Nova Star quality compared with a Sunrader or Odyssey?  Thanks again!

Thanks Cody, your RV looks great, the nova star construction information derek sent me looks impressive, but the Sunrader does look a bit cooler, but I think I would be really happy with either one if the quality was similar.  Hope you have a great time with yours...

I had one they  are top notch. I sold it to a couple in VT they still have it and has been all over the country with it.

Hello Derek, thank you- do you have any thoughts on the  Nova Star quality  compared with a Sunrader or Oddessy?  Thanks again!

• 2 years later...

For the engine or the house. Most RV's have no service manual for the living space. Just owners user manuals. How to light the fridge and use stuff inside. For appliances go here

Service Documents and Manuals (bryantrv.com)

For the engine you need a Toyota service manual. Hanes and Chiltons don't make them anymore for rigs this old but you can find some on Ebay or Amazon. Not cheap. 

Scroll down on this site and you will see where you can download the service manual for 1986 to 1989 toyota service manual for a 4runner. Same as ours in engine bay

This is going to be a big download. I also have never used this site but it's the link from the Toyota campers site which has about 7000 members so if there was something wrong with the site I'm sure we would have heard about it by now

Toyota 4Runner Online Repair Manuals and Wiring Diagrams (cardiagn.com)

Linda S

Wow well Autozone actually DOES still sell the repair manuals new and I just called our local one and they have it on the shelf for $19.99.  Was like $24 with tax.  I didn't bother to ask if it was chitons or haynes though.  One company I believe bought out the other.  I spent about an hour looking for other resources and writing up a longer response, but these are readily and easily available for new.   As useless as they usually are for me, I will probably go grab one as my old copy is brown from age lol!   

Sorry Linda, not trying to always be contrary lol!  I actually told the wife the other day that the parts store didn't have an obscure manual for our 944, and was surprised when she asked and they DID have it!  Oops.  I also didn't call our local store first on this one, and again was surprised when they had it on the shelf.  

Edited by thewanderlustking

I tried the link above for the Toyota specific FSM (Factory Service Manual) and mostly struck out.  The info is there, probably, but you have to solve captchas and go through hoops to get it and a couple windows open up trying to get you to download shady software that you don't need.  After the third cpattcha and try to reload the page again...  I moved on.  It looked like it was all online HTML and couldn't be downloaded anyways.  

There are a ton of safer places online where most of this information could be found anyways.  LCEngineering for instance has an awesome archive of articles on various things.  I am pretty sure I have stumbled across several repair PDF guides posted up on places like the yotatech forums.  Although a quick look brings me to a very similar online Toyota FSM full of adds and pop up crap trying to install software...  Whatever the case for "free" information access online the yotatech forum is a VERY good resource and I highly recommend making an account there.  

Your best online resource for how to do any specific repair job on your yota, is simply Youtube.  This is usually a much clearer easier to understand resource than a paper repair manual.  Or converted paper manuals posted online.    

If you do go on eBay a quick look actually found some new and cheap Haynes repair manuals.  Only $30.  But as I said in the post above, these manuals are still available new at your local parts store.

Where these excel at is in charts with torque specifications, fluid capacities, and things like that.  Stuff usually not mentioned in "how to videos" on youtube.  Where Haynes and Chilton manuals seem to fail at, is things like wiring diagrams.  I think I have a haynes and find it usable for this, but just barely.   

Now the holy grail for Toyota Repair manuals is most likely the actual Factory Service Manual.  These are red and black.  These do get expensive.  Amazon has a set for $287.  I do see them all over ebay though for roughly $140-170 a set.  Be careful though as it looks like these are for specific years and not all trucks up to that point.  Figure out what year chassis you actualy have before springing for one of these sets.  I haven't had one in hand to give an opinion on it, but usually with things like this you do get what you pay for.

I also stumbled across one Manual for Toyota pickups from Bentley publishing.  These are the go to manuals for German cars and are AWESOME.  For Volkswagen (for instance) they are as good as the actual factory service manuals, and for older cars were actually THE factory service manual complete with instructions on factory service tools to use.   

1)  In summary, for the Toyota chassis and cab you can probably find a manual cheaply on a local car parts house shelf.  Or they can order it.  The prices locally, are cheaper than online.  

2)  For most basic (and even advanced) repairs though, youtube is your best resource.  I know there is a PDF out there online of the FSM.  In fact I am pretty sure I downloaded it to one of my computers.  I am just not finding it right now without the online rigamarole trying to download sketchy software and answering captchas.  

3)  For obscure and specific technical questions RV related, ask here.  For Toyota chassis related, ask here AND setup an account on Yotatech.com.  Linda (or somebody else on here) will answer MUCH quicker than on Yotatech though...   It is EXTREMELY RARE for me to post up a question here that isn't answered within 24hrs.  Usually, it is within only a few hours.  

4)  If I were rebuilding my Toyota 22RE engine, I would spring for the information in a Factory Service Manual, without hesitation.  (I probably will get one sometime in the near future just to have it on hand.)    

5)  And the BryantRV website Linda put up above is a VERY GOOD resource I have used for appliance and RV specific manuals before.  I did get one "install this software" pop up on it, but I was able to kill that and actually get to the information without any more hassle.      

Anyways I came on here today for a quick bit of research and found it on the BryantRV site Linda posted.   I forgot about that one and need to save it in my favorites/reading list.  

Not contrary just supply and demand. They go out of print and if they get enough demand they print them again. I hadn't checked lately. There used to be a full factory service manual online Nathan's something. All the Toyota sites used it. Toyota had it pulled

Linda S

Why am I not surprised?  Meh...  

For giggles, I specifically went hunting on ebay for my 1986 Mini Cruiser.  Chassis is a 1985.  I found one, not horribly expensive either at $70.  It is a one volume deal.  All the later ones seem to be two volumes...   Pretty tempted to pull the trigger on that, but realistically I don't need it at the moment.  

A paper copy in hand though is much easier to utilize than a digital copy.  But there is something to be said for the lack of weight a digital copy on a laptop/tablet/ereader takes up in an RV out on the road.  In fact I think I am going to go hunting for digital copies of all the repair manuals for the Toyota and appliance service manuals and try to put together a library of everything!  I actually have a really nice Barnes and Noble "Nook" branded Lenovo M10 tablet I bough just because I knew it was a branded Lenovo, and got it for half the price of a normal M10.   Might as well use it for what it is! 

Sidetrack:  This got me thinking about a really cool tool/software I use to manage my e-library.  I posted it up in the communications and electronics forum here:  Creating a compact and portable ereader library using Calibre!