Awning rail install

86Dolphino

I hope I can get a little insight as to how one would go about installing a Awning rail. My rail will be only 7ft, but I'm not sure if I should cut out a 7ft section of my J-rail and screw it in place of the J-rail with new butyl tape or put in below the J-rail with lag bolts all the way through my wall ( the bolts on the inside would be hidden inside the cabinets) or do I screw it right into my J-rail and seal it all in with silicon.

Tomorrow I pick up a brand new in the box Dometic 7ft Trim line bag awning for 50 bucks. I wish it was a little longer but I look at it like 7ft is lighter than 10 ft and 50 bucks is a lot cheaper than 300.00.

FYI- my rig has the metal siding now fiberglass

thank you in advance for the help.

• 2 months later...

Going to look into this for the summer, I’ve been looking at the car awnings too.

I ended up replacing the whole top j rail with a gutter rail with a groove for the dometic bag awning I picked up. I really like how it turned out.  I was originally going to use a 7 or 8 ft rail but decided to go longer roughly 14 foot or so. That way if I really wanted I could move the awning down some or maybe even have two.