Click ping

Hunter.

1985 Dolphin. The main breaker on the house panel,  battery side, 12v. stopped working. Will not shut off power to the lights, and water pump. The main breaker for the ac still works.

I took out the battery and reinstalled it ( with no shore power hooked up) Now I have no lights, water pump, etc. on the battery side, with a click and ping  coming from behind the panel 10-15 second intervals. Shore power works, but the click ping is still there, and it is louder with ac power than the dc power alone. If I disconnect the battery and connect the shore power everything works and the click ping does NOT come on. Does anyone have experience with this problem?  Solutions?

Thanks, Hunter

There is no breaker for the DC voltage only the AC. There is a thermal cut out in case of over current As Derek said make sure your battery is connected properly f it's not you will get a "pinging" noise as the cut out opens and closes.  

"normal" RV wiring is black is +, white -

YMMV depending on what silliness the previous owner has done.

I took the battery to be tested, the posts tested OK, but the threaded pins tested Replace. So I thought, OK this is it, bought a new battery, fully charged, still get the ping. Everything works Shore power, with the battery unattached, no ping.  Where is the thermal cut out, what does it look like, can it be reset, would the ping sound if it were "cut out", seems the battery supplies the energy to make the ping sound. The battery is connected correctly. Using Buss 15 amp fuses, could one of these not be breaking when it should, would it be worth changing them all out? What device is making the ping sound, could it be bad, if so how can this be tested? Thanks for your help.

Get a cheap voltmeter and remove the wires from the battery. Check each wire with the ohm function to a known ground. Who knows what has been done in the last 35 years. You may have multiple grounds. With the wires disconnected, start the engine and check for 12v on the wires. Wire the battery according to what you find.

After you get the battery hooked up to the basic wires connected, follow the other wires to see where they go.

This is what your looking for, an auto reset circuit breaker...https://www.delcity.net/store/12V-Auto-Reset-Circuit-Breakers/p_198669.h_198846

Available at any auto part store.

It is an indication of a short circuit it is not reset able. It is a small metal box with two wires attached to it under the hood they are rated 35 amps any thing above that will trip it so either you have a short or your battery cables are reversed (that to is a short because of the inverter). The city power has nothing to do with it is is DC only. A little hint battery terminals are two different sizes the larger post is + the smaller one - so if you had to force one terminal on it's probably reversed. Usually the + will have more than one wire the - generally not. Here is what happens the short causes the box to trip from over heat it cools and resets only to over heat again and do it all over again. Click/ping.