Light Bulb Riddle

tstockma

I'm the proud new owner of dear old Dad's 1986 New Horizons.

So riddle me this:  how many IT guys does it take to change a light bulb?

Answer:  more than one, apparently.

Dad doesn't remember if he ever changed one, so doesn't know how the cover comes apart.  None of the light fixtures in the rig are broken or show any marks from previous attempts to take them apart.

I'm being very gentle, having busted many an old plastic part on many an old car over the decades.

Looks like maybe gently pry the outer trim away from the inner clear lens?   But gently trying that so far doesn't show signs that the outer trim is or ever was very flexible...but if that's how it's supposed to be done, I'll use enough force to either break it open & replace it, or else I'll succeed in getting the clear plastic lens to fall out of the fixture.

Thoughts?  Gently pry the yellow trim away from the clear plastic?

New-Horizon-int-light.jpg.2dbd4ead1980218f825ca5ad5d4e3117.jpg

Look carefully at the clear cover. Two sides will have tabs and the other two won't. Squeeze the two sides with the tabs. They should pop out of the slots in the yellow body. AND you have removed the light bulb cover.

Thanks, that got it. 

Tip for anyone else looking at this:  the clear plastic cover itself is not "squeezable" - but putting my thumbs on the outside of the yellow plastic trim, and using fingers to squeeze the opposite edge of the clear cover, squeezing towards my thumbs, had it fall right out.  Experiment a bit & you'll need to try "both directions" on the cover - to find the two sides that have the tabs.

Nicely designed, the tabs are quite small so not much movement is needed - however it's also nice and secure until you squeeze.

Edited by tstockma