Oil Disposal problem

tstockma

My wife's parents are moving to assisted living....he's an old truck driver....he has a couple 55 gallon drums of old oil from when he owned a truck, still underground in a concrete pit. We're finding his old go-to places who used to pump out the oil for him are no longer willing to come to a residential area & handle it.

We need to get it out before closing date comes. I'm even thinking of getting a tank or drum in a pickup & pumping it up ourselves....then pulling up the empty drums.

Any thoughts about how to do this?

Don't know how deep that tank is or how many gallons but this will transfer 12 gallons a minute.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-gpm-air-operated-barrel-pump-93755.html

Harbor Freight has a few other pumps too from cheap hand crank to electric diesel pumps.

I wouldn't try to put it in a tank. Use what your local recycle place will take. Oreillys will take it but they have to be able to pour it and they give you back the container. 

Linda S

Linda, that pump looks very encouraging.   I got 1 barrel with used coolant, 2 with used diesel engine oil.   Don't yet know how full they are....the city here says anti-freeze is safe in their waste water system, so down the toilet with that...but I'm not  sure how many trips to AutoZone it'll take me for recycling, using my 3 or 4 several saved 5 qt containers, I'll need to make!

And, that pump looks really helpful.

Edited by tstockma

Thanks, you found the right keywords, those all look like potential places to drop off the oil.  We've contacted Mesa, they used to pick up the oil for these folks, but are declining now, due to EPA regs.  I'll call some more of those, maybe someone else's setup doesn't have that constraint.   If I do end up with a container on a borrowed pickup holding the 50-100 gallons of used oil I expect to find, one of these will certainly be my destination!

Many farmers and country folks have waste oil furnaces they use for heating purposes. I’m not sure what the federal regulations say, but any of them would gladly take your oil.

Try CL and type in “waste oil”. See if you get any hits.

Maineah's keywords did the trick nicely....had to call a number of places, the fifth on the list is taking care of it.   Oddly, the one we started with (the one who used to do this at the house) said they could not remove oil from a residential neighborhood because the EPA prevented it, others don't have that problem...think maybe that company doesn't do that business anymore & wanted to blame the EPA for it.  

Anyway, problem solved.

Edited by tstockma

• 2 weeks later...

"Problem solved" turned out a little premature...  Denver Oil dropped by in our absence on Weds to pump out any & all fluids for $250, and take away the drums for $50 each...however after pumping fluid, then declined to pull the drums out because there were too old & in danger of coming apart.  The guy did tell us over the phone he thought we wouldn't have a hard time, but his lift method was not gentle enough.

So, my method to remove ancient used oil barrels:
1)  Have commercial company pump out fluids
2)  Use Harbor Freight ratcheting tie-down strap around each barrel, under the first molded-in ridge 1/3 the way down from the top, first attaching 3 ropes coming up from that tie-down...
3)  Lift & pray  (actually the strapping worked great, they came right out)
4)  Now need to see if Denver Oil will come back to take away the drums, if not we'll have to deliver to some disposal service

So while we're not quite done, at least the fluids are pumped out & the barrels out of the pit.  At least it's mostly rainwater left in the bottom

lift_point_1_xsm.jpg.7f968bc4bdf336bd9fe6f57a698c8eda.jpg

lift_point_2_xsm.jpg.a073c1a270b731294624f7c49a41773e.jpg

lineup_the_suspects_xsm.jpg.281f60bd3877053a908e769ba80abab2.jpg

Article keywords: old  ancient 55 gal gallon waste oil drum disposal removal from oil grease pit...

Edited by tstockma