1990 Sunrader Rehab

jetalkington

I originally wasn't going to do a full tear out of my Sunrader, I bouight 1.5 years ago.  I planned to do it a little at a time.  However, after a few trips with my wife, she kept saying it smelled of something decaying.  Bear in mind she has one of the most sensitive noses in the world.  I on the other hand smelled just an old home.  I also wasn't planning to do much online posting about it. Mostly because of the time and I am not good at getting around to it. But, after some encouragement after my last egg camper rebuild I thought I would try. Plus this forum has some good ideas and experience so I figured I could use the feedback as I know next to nothing about Sunraders.

So, a few weeks ago I took the couch out to see what was around it and it turned out my electrical inlet port was leaking. I took the couch out and found what is likely the original carpet and the corner where the couch and the loft area meet was full of rotten wood.  As I removed the couch the screws pulled through the wood. So, I knew what was in for.  I decided to do  a full gut and find all the leaks.  Turns out they were everywhere.  The roof rack screws were leaking.The ceiling supports were gone.  The rear clearance lights, a couple windows and the water inlets. It is clear that at some point in it's life this Sunrader has had significant water leaks that were patched and the wood never fixed.  All of the cabinet frames are/were particle board and clearly had swelled with water.  So, I finished the gut last week. 

I like the original lay out for the most part and plan to put it back pretty much the way it was with upgraded wood and painted formaldehyde free plywood.  I am going to install lithium batteries with solar panels.  I know the lithiums are costly but I plan to retire in a year and think I should buy them now while I have good income rather than when I retire.  I am a wildlife photographer, as a hobby, and plan to build the Sunrader to be able to go out in the winter -1F or so.  I live in the north so it gets cold. Last winter we saw actual -36F.  I would not be out in that. But, the batteries will need to be removed and stored.  My first goal is to seal all the leaks and prep it for spray insulation.  I welcome feedback. I will add to this thread as I move along.

Well, here we are.  Wish me luck.  

20190923_160318.jpg

I have. I watched them pretty much from the beginning.  I have spent  a lot of time reviewing other peoples builds and ideas online. There are a lot of talented people out there.

We all have different takes on what we want our Sunraders to do and their purpose.  I like most of what they did, like the cork floor. Which I am adding to mine.  I  have no desire to live with out the shower and bathroom.  Plus, being from the North, and what I want to do,  I have to be able to do everything inside, with heat, and not rely on cooking and other things outside.  However, their overall work on the shell and interior construction was excellent.  One of my favorite follows is https://www.instagram.com/yotahome4x4/.  He works in  a boat yard so it is over the top for fiberglass work.  Still very cool all the same. 

Thanks

I removed my roof rail today and found both couplings had broken.  I want to put it back.  Any one know where to find the coupling?  They are .75" in diameter.  Hoping I don't have to make a set

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 130 amp alternator installed this week. Then I sat down to make some new couplings for my roof rack. In case anyone is interested I started with a 3/4 barbed nylon coupling.

2107813846_20191011_104908(Small).jpg.2e938f9f40be446e1f5b14d93aa47885.jpg

Then with the help of a Dremel rotary tool cut it and shaped it to fit my roof rail.  I had my rail powder coated to flat black  and with new coupling installed it on my roof.  Now with new Max Flo vent, bath vent and new sewer pipe vent caps I only have my solar panels to go on the roof.  But, we are seeing highs of 40 degrees already so unless I can find a place to work on the Sunrader inside I may be stuck until we get an Indian Summer.  You can see the new on nearly completed next to the old broken coupling. When I got it done it actually worked just fine. Next phase is to pull all the chrome and have it powder coated and reinstalled.

20191016_144426 (Small).jpg

20191011_104924 (Small).jpg

20191012_075241 (Small).jpg

I did not know that.  I like the look of the rack. I had taken it off and decided I liked the look better with it on.  The only wires going to it was the cable wire.  I don't need an antenna and plan to use the hole for the cable wire for my cellular booster antenna.

• 6 months later...

Got around to replacing the leaking pinion seal today.  Got the truck all cleaned, sanded, and every spot fixed. Took the windshield out due to rust around it.  The problem with rust around a windshield you never know how bad it is.

I lose my body shop space next week due to this virus.  I own a park concession in Illinois and we have been told we may not get open this summer.  Ridiculous.  Anyway, with no income I can't keep paying rent on a building when I can do it outside now.  So, I pushed getting all the truck body work done so I can paint it while it is indoors.  Looking good.  Paint tomorrow. At least that is today's plan.

20200506_144302 (Small).jpg

Sorry to hear of your COVID predicament. Hopefully this will all work out for you in other ways.
I am prepping to paint soon. I will leave the truck cab for another day, but hoping to get the house painted at some point soon. Removed all the decals and did some final epoxy prep all around. Soon.....

• 2 weeks later...

Got my Sunrader out in the sunlight today. First time since October.   Front cab is all painted.  Decals when the paint fully cures. Likely first week of June.

Now that it is at my house it will a lot easier to get some hours in on it. Raining so I see a couple spots leaking around two fixtures.  I plan to get it cleaned out and take a garden hose to it to make sure before I start furring out the side walls.

20200517_132342 (Small).jpg

• 1 year later...

I didn't realize I have not posted any updates out here on my rebuild. I have been busy with selling my business and trying to retire I have not been doing much online except looking at FB.  I got the outside body work done and painted. I started on the inside by getting rid of holes I won't be using.  I am putting in a 12v fridge. So, I am getting rid of the top vent. I will be going to lithium batteries and am closing up the rear battery hole. I am starting on the rear hole as that is behind a box and since it is my first time doing fiberglass I suspect it may not look the best.  I screwed in a plywood piece covered in plastic a s my backer and layed up some stranded fiberglass mat on the inside. I put three layers in. Once dried I layed chopped strand on the outside. Then mixed up some Qcell epoxy thickener and used it like bondo on the outside. Took me four tries and a new sander to get it smooth. Then I used a combination of paints Ford Wimberly, GM Dark white to try and match the color. Next the vent and taking out all the windows to reframe them

20200320_134314 (Small).jpg

20200331_134137 (Small).jpg

20200413_121501 (Small).jpg

Wow, looks perfect. Why the switch to 12 volt fridge. I just don't know anyone who is really happy with the results. All the compressor ones are electric hogs and the thermoelectric ones just don't get that cold. I know I have a top of the line one I use to age cheese. At 50 to 55 it's very happy. Are you keeping gas for heat and stove?

Linda S

My plan is to use this in the winter for photography and I suspect I will need propane for heat. With it being a fixed tank you can't just run out and get more.  I do have an idea to add an extend-a- stay on my existing tank to do just that. I am mostly concerned with cold weather. and propane.

Edited by jetalkington

i recently installed a diesel heater in my sunrader for ski trips this winter and was very happy with performance. having the ability to easily carry additional tanks of fuel was one of the reasons i chose the diesel heater, as well as the availability of diesel at all times and not being subject to availability of propane or the filler. you could always carry 20 gallon propane tanks with the appropriate adaptors as well.

Rule 1 of things, never build a house during a pandemic ! We sold our house instantly and then faced multiple delays. Early on I just drove to the propane dealer, but after I skirted it for winter, moving was no longer possible. So  I cobbled us an extend a stay thingie .

I mounted a 1/4" T fitting on the output of the regulator. Then a 5ft hose to another regulator with a fitting for an OPD cylinder. Pre made hoses with proper fittings are readily available at the farm supply stores. Closing the main tank valve prevented any back flow through the main regulator.

FWIW the rig is a 30ft Class A, we ran a 1500w electric heater 24/7. The outside temp averaged 10 degrees in the day and -5 at night. We managed 5 days per 20lb tank. 

Well, I have this figured out. My cousin owes an insulation company. So, I will have him spray foam it. R7 for an inch. My furring strips are 3/4 so about 5.3 on walls. I took out the metal cross beams and ripped some cedar to 1" and put them back. So, I will have r7 on ceiling.

• 6 months later...

Well, I finished my rehab.  Here are some links to rehab photos and the finished product. A lot of work. I like how it came out.  

Rehab photos:  Rehab

Finished product:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/zkgYiRQvrjPkekyi7

I also created hatch in the floor to access the fuel tank, as others here suggested from one of the holes in the floor.

Edited by jetalkington

Looks better than new. 

Now you know what's under the glitz