I am trying to identify which transmission i have. The PO swapped the 4 speed manual out for a 5 speed manual on my 1986 Sunrader with a 22RE. Ive look at several images on some websites like Marlin Crawler but nothing is popping out.  i smell some trans oil inside the cab so i was hoping to replace the the gasket and small shifter boot, i just dont know which one to buy. Any help is appreciated.  

image.png.f78831e88bebf401436c745ecad92b3b.pngimage.png.7a5dc24c932ff7ce224bcffd8240a781.pngimage.png.d7d810a0933e728378789ea4ca03265c.pngimage.png.84ffffcb66ca680cfbea661e67b1d055.png 

It looks pretty dry to me there were pretty good units, it's been apart Toyota used a grey sealant not red. The only problems I remember was 5th gear issues. Gear oil smell is distinctive and usually it has to be fairly hot to notice it. I see a slight drip at the speedo connection there is a tiny seal inside. 

Those charts are from Marlin Crawler. They provide information about the application with respect to Toyota model year but nothing regarding a positive identifier on the transmission itself. I never had access to the input bearing unfortunately, i did the work mentioned above with the trans on vehicle.  I think its a W55 but i cant find a way to be sure.

the case has since been cleaned when the seals were replaced on the speedo cable, the drip is likely from installation. the smell was almost immediate when i top off the fluid. there is a splash guard style seal usually on toyota shifters. As for the red sealant, that makes sense since the PO installed a 5 speed. Ive read about transmission swaps and many times different bell housings and trans combinations are used depending on where the trans is coming from. 

The iron case 4X4  5 spd was the one with severe head bearing/seal issues, the early aluminum 5 speeds had some issues with 5th gear. I kind of remember different bellhousing mounts but that did not require dismantling the trans. In my former life I was the shop foreman for a large transmission shop I did all of the manual transmissions and I really don't remember them being known leakers.

I believe the reason this one is leaking is because there is a missing gasket, hence why i am trying to figure out which transmission i have so i can replace it. 

Heres the missing part.... i think

image.png.b933b2ef429128e8c221bbddc274efd0.png

From the image i realized the "baffle" is definitely not there.

image.png.b1a0751a9ee3ec273114b5edde3673da.png

The source of information: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/77065-2000-4runner-4cyl-auto-manual-transmision-swap-4.html

All though it may keep oil in it was used for vibration isolation that's why it has the 6 spacers so it can't be over tightened. It is a good part # more often than not the rebuilders used sealant because of the cost of the part.  

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with you regarding the cost. especially that particular part, i payed $35 which is a bit high comparatively speaking. Regarding the vibration,  I believe it will be transmitted through the spacers. I believe the parts primary purpose is to serve as a baffle rather than vibration isolation.  in any case, heres a few pictures showing without and with the baffle.

image.png.aab4b93f29bf7f039167398c66d4149f.png image.png.ea1eac08a769669f87150222a2ca4121.png

I also replaced the bushing that was non existent. its much happier shifting now!

image.png.338a1894b965a277b78c0974eb39b722.png

Edited by mpanzar