Is this the Original Floor?

jetalkington

I have been cleaning out the inside of my 1990 Sunrader.  I pulled up the 1/4 plywood on the floor because it was starting to lift.  Turns out it only had a few staple and was topped with vinyl.  When I got the plywood out I discover a patch in the floor. It is right over the gas tank. So, I am guessing when the put the new tank in there must have been a problem and the cut hole in the floor.  They did a really bad job of patching it and the patch was soft.  Looks like they used regular drywall screws and they all rusted and broke.  I put in a picture below.  My floor is all OSB.  According to the Sunrader brochures it is suppose to have a foam filling and and aluminum bottom. Mine was built in California and has wrap around windows.

Did they do something different at some point or was my floor replaced?

If it was I wish they had at least used plywood. The did a really good job around the edges as it is all glassed about a foot from the perimeter.  As you can see where the patch is the floor has swelled.  The hole looks like a pain to fix right with its location above the gas tank.

20190918_153510 (Medium).jpg

20190919_103722 (Medium).jpg

20190919_103733 (Medium).jpg

Thanks. I had actually considered that.  We rent kayaks and have some of the 4 inch ones in stock because we have to replace them once in a while. Mostly the lid, but you can't buy the lid separate from Old Town.  I want to put a new floor down with cork planks and had not thought through how to make it look right.  I had given thought about covering it and know it is there if I need it. Or put the flooring down and allow the hatch to show.. It is under the dinette.  The hole is about 8x9 so I would have to do something to make it smaller and fit the hatch.  Either way I have to create a patch for the hole. Either to fit the hatch or just to fill it.

You  got me thinking though. There are rectangle hatches that are designed for top  decks that can be walked on.  I am going to measure the hole tomorrow and see if one of these would work. It might be a simple fix. Just epoxy or fiber glass the wood to seal it and drop in the hatch.