Family Travel in Toyota motorhome, 4 or more experience

Amount of people traveling in your Toyota motorhome  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Amount of people traveling in your Toyota motorhome?

• Just me! "Free Spirit" Party of one.
    • Just the two of us, We can make it if we try!
    • Three or more. We like to party!

I have a 21 ft Toyota Sunrader that I recently purchased. Wanted to get some peoples opinions about traveling in their RV with 4 or more people. My Sunrader has the dinette in the back with the large windows where the 2 or 4 people would have to sit, seatbelted in for travel.

Is this a comfortable and safe way to travel  for kids or adults?

Do your  passengers move around the cabin while driving? 

Thanks,

Aaron

I don't think these homes are safe from side or rear impaxt. My 87 Dolphin Walls are made of mostly thin, cheap material.   I do plan on putting in better seatbelts in the camper area. 

Barely room for 2,  cannot imagine having more people in one and they disintegrate in accidents.  Walking around in one is foolish.   My opinion and worth what you are paying for it. 

I travel with a family of four, two adults, two kids, ages 5 and 9.  I was concerned about the safety with the kids riding in the back with only lap belts.  I installed four point racing harness type seat belts - five sets in all. Three across the bench seat and two  on opposite sides of the removable table.  I have a 21' rader with rear bath and rear door with the bench seat facing the two seater dinette.   I re-enforced the connection points to the seat belts (not a trivial job) and I now feel it's going to hold someone in a wreck.  The kids also have attached booster type car seats in addition to the racing harness.  I'm comfortable with up to five in the back and two in the front as a max load.

Contrary to how I was raised when I ran wild in the very back of the land-yacht of a Plymouth station wagon with no seat belt (or seat for that matter - and the rear window open...), Mom won't let the kids get up in our YoterHome except to quickly use the potty.

Edited by AtlantaCamper
type-o

How are the seat belts supposed to be fastened in?  I recently took out my sofa and found the seat belts were bolted to the plywood. I plan to put the sofa back and would like to know how to be sure the seats would be effective.  I can't believe 3/4 plywood is sufficient.

1 minute ago, jetalkington said:

the seat belts were bolted to the plywood

Yea, and I could practically pull up the whole bench seat right out of the floor because it wasn't held down very well. Not cool (and not safe). I basically extended the connection bolt from the plywood all the way down to the floor.  At those attachment points the floor is fiberglass bonded to wood and it's very strong.  My belts are basically pulling on this floor rather than the bench plywood.   It wasn't easy to do as each anchor point sort of had to be custom attached to the floor.  Some were easy with a long threaded 1/2"  rod down through the plywood and all the way through the floor - if you can do this on the anchor points it's the easiest.  But other points had to go around stuff like drawers or generators or water tanks, etc.  Had to do some red-neck engineering to make it work and be strong enough.  

Note:  in hind-sight the 2" wide four point racing harness is nifty, but it's overkill and there are a LOT of straps to organize every time I change over from driving to seating at camp.  If I did it again I'd consider narrower straps and maybe just one shoulder belt - something different to reduce the total weight and volume of seat belts I have to organize....   I have 200 mile an hour belts and it's a tad over the top - although the kids think it's super cool to have real racing belts. 

Thanks everyone. Kinda just what I thought. Currently in the "Replace the rotted floor stage" like so many others. Oh boy!

So trying to think of a way to add strength without adding to much weight.

Good ideas Atlanta Camper. 

Thanks everyone.

Aaron

• 3 years later...
On 9/17/2019 at 3:37 PM, AtlantaCamper said:

Did you research if riding “sideways” on the bench seat is safe? Seems like the front and rear-facing dinette seats would be safe (at Lear for kids small enough for a booster that provided a headrest) but the bench seat I am not sure about….do you have any info?

I travel with a family of four, two adults, two kids, ages 5 and 9.  I was concerned about the safety with the kids riding in the back with only lap belts.  I installed four point racing harness type seat belts - five sets in all. Three across the bench seat and two  on opposite sides of the removable table.  I have a 21' rader with rear bath and rear door with the bench seat facing the two seater dinette.   I re-enforced the connection points to the seat belts (not a trivial job) and I now feel it's going to hold someone in a wreck.  The kids also have attached booster type car seats in addition to the racing harness.  I'm comfortable with up to five in the back and two in the front as a max load.

Contrary to how I was raised when I ran wild in the very back of the land-yacht of a Plymouth station wagon with no seat belt (or seat for that matter - and the rear window open...), Mom won't let the kids get up in our YoterHome except to quickly use the potty.