EPDM Tape

jetalkington

I am in the process of rehabbing my 21' 1990 Sunrader.  I am taking the interior ceiling down, due to water damage.   My Sunrader has two steel arch beams running from side to side. I would like to temporarily remove them one at a time.  I would maintain support on the AC unit with  a jack. The ceiling panel seams are under the cross members and to get everything out and the new up It would make a cleaner job if I could remove them.

They are just bolted in. I have tried loosening the bolts but it does not give me enough room.  My question is there is tape covering the heads on the outside of the shell.  I think it is EPDM tape but thought I would ask here to be sure. 

Is it EPDM tape?   Does anyone have any experience with removing them and putting them back?

Edited by jetalkington

3 hours ago, jetalkington said:

Does anyone have any experience with removing them

I have removed one bolt from each of the two cross beams in my '21 Sunrader in order to install a hook type tie-down point.  I took the bolt out and replaced it with this kind of thing on four of the eight bolt points: 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaHeBObfh5vuq94XLBFcoB8iyiioZ9-I8ZvmnLsq1XKl2oFvfdUsUaOMZLf3lnoJZLzAZes4dvnaCmcZSKddyHF3I4PXwqrgvQH_0cQpw&usqp=CAE 

I find it very handy to have these hook type points for securing things like a canoe or other stuff to the top.  I've used them as rope tie points for tarps during rainy weather and for clotheslines too.  

So, I recall that there was some sealant between the bolt head and the fiberglass.  I cannot tell you specifically what it was.  I used the 3M 5200 to seal the anchor point.  No leaks.  I think  butyl tape  would be fine in this situation but I'm not certain what would be 'best'.  

I considered removing the metal supports while I was doing this job in order to get rid of the nasty old ugly carpet that is glued onto these metal cross-bars but it looked like a _really_ hard to get them out.  I'd have to remove both upper cabinets in my rig to do it so I left them where they were.  I hope it's not as difficult to get yours out.

I think I have the same style Sunrader as you. 21' with rear bath.  I recently started working on mine and found so much rotted wood I ended up removing everything.  There was decay everywhere. Fortunately I have fun doing this stuff.

I have removed my carpet and plan to clean and paint the beams.

So, I can get mine out by removing the bolts. I will put them back. they are a major source of support for the roof and AC. I was concerned about how or why they used the tape to seal them instead of sealer.  I thought there might have been a reason I was missing

I think the thing you have is a bow cleat from a boat.  I had not thought about going that route.  I think it is a good idea. I am putting solar panels on top, so no canoe. But, the thought of having a quick connect for a close line is appealing. 

1 minute ago, jetalkington said:

I have removed my carpet and plan to clean and paint the beams

Nice.  This is on my to-do list for sure.

Question:  Do you have the layout where the bench seat folds down into a bed and also the dinette seats can turn into a bed too?  Or do you have the layout where the seats opposite the table in the dinette are not square bench type seats but rather the swivel bucket type seats?

I have the one with bench seats around a dinette, which can become a bed. It is also perfect size for my grandson.  Opposite the dinette is a sofa with the the back that rolls forward and makes a bed.

Thanks for the tips on the seat belts.  I had thought one of previous owners had done the connections to the plywood.  My water tank is under my sofa so I am not sure how make it work yet.  When I get there i will give it more thought.

Edited by jetalkington

1 hour ago, jetalkington said:

I have the one with bench seats around a dinette, which can become a bed. It is also perfect size for my grandson.  Opposite the dinette is a sofa with the the back that rolls forward and makes a bed.

Ah ha!  We have the same configuration I believe.  The issue I have with the sofa fold out bed is that it's too short for me at 5'11".  I had to sleep with my head near the sink and feet hanging off a bit near the driver's seat headrest.  With sofa folded out and dinette turned into the 'grandson bed' there is this odd gap of about 5 or 6 inches between the sofa bed and the dinette bed.  So one day I decided to make it One Big Bed.  I attached a plank on some hinges to the back of the folding part of the sofa and rigged it up so that it securely rests on the edge of the dinette seats.  Ta-da!  A (nearly) king size bed!  I can sleep with feet/head window to window with enough room.  I carry a rolled up 2" memory foam mattress that I roll out on top of the cushions and boy is it really comfortable!  (a lot of room to store the memory foam during travel, but it's a luxury I can't give up now). The use of the short post supporting the back of the sofa folded down is critical but I assume you already have this.

If this modification interests you I will go take a few pictures.  It's completely transformed the sleeping in the camper for the better.  

Edited by AtlantaCamper

It sounds cool. My wife has been concerned about the full size bed in the loft area. She says I hog the blankets and was not sure how it was going to work out.  Post a picture of yours. It may be just the trick.  The one thing I like about the loft sleeping is I don't have to make it up every night. So, maybe when she is with me I can show her this/your setup and when I am traveling alone I will be able to use the loft.

Thanks

35 minutes ago, jetalkington said:

Post a picture of yours

It is a pain to deploy the lower sleeping area every night, but with two adults and two kids it's a necessity.  

IMG_20190917_203922.jpg.226091d3f346cbf2bd5fce0b2dcdce1c.jpg

Look at all of that sleeping area!  Full size on top, between Queen and King on the bottom.

IMG_20190917_204304.jpg.59a2605a67e85669edcb2e29d321fcf4.jpg

This is the basic mod - a plank attached to the back of the couch back piece with hinges.    It uses a gate latch to hold it in place during storage.  The plank folds out and covers that gap between the couch bed and the dinette bed. 

IMG_20190917_204213.jpg.d67f7314ec905a6d95f8c3329f1f18a6.jpg

This is what it looks like in 'storage/travel' position.  There is just enough room for all of those parts in the back when in "sofa" configuration.  Ignore the aluminum piece at the bottom, it's not part of this.

IMG_20190917_204029.jpg.ab6819df0c69f9286363b1da405476ff.jpg

There are two 1/8" thick aluminum plates bolted to the plank that rest  on the top of the dinette seats to give it stability.  There are a few other minor issues/considerations so if you decide to do this for yourself let me know and I'll give you the details to be aware of.  All in all crude but effective and cheap.   

I use this 2" memory foam on both beds:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDWQ7P0

I had to cut it down a little for the bottom/lower bed but the king works on the bottom and the full fits perfect on the top.  I leave the top/loft in 'Bed Mode' all of the time but I have to roll and stow the memory foam for the bottom each night.  I have the process down like a 4- tire nascar pit stop.  I'm really happy with the big bed on the bottom now compared to what I had before.

Edited by AtlantaCamper

5 hours ago, jetalkington said:

It sounds cool. My wife has been concerned about the full size bed in the loft area. She says I hog the blankets and was not sure how it was going to work out.  Post a picture of yours. It may be just the trick.  The one thing I like about the loft sleeping is I don't have to make it up every night. So, maybe when she is with me I can show her this/your setup and when I am traveling alone I will be able to use the loft.

Thanks

Simplest solution, get separate blankets. 2 twin sized comforters and you can both roll up in your own

Linda S

Thanks for taking the time to post.  I like the look of it.  I will keep it in mind when I get to that end of the rehab.  I am starting in the rear and working forward. I ended up with a lot more rotted wood than I had hoped. The old particle board just disintegrated.

Linda, we do the two blankets in our tow behind.  We have a 19' Escape with a queen  bed. My wife makes it up with two of everything.  It make it hard to snuggle on those cold nights.  She has never gone with me in the Sunrader so we will have to see how it works out. I suspect the two comforters will win out here as well.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:09 PM, AtlantaCamper said:

Ah ha!  We have the same configuration I believe.  The issue I have with the sofa fold out bed is that it's too short for me at 5'11".  I had to sleep with my head near the sink and feet hanging off a bit near the driver's seat headrest.  With sofa folded out and dinette turned into the 'grandson bed' there is this odd gap of about 5 or 6 inches between the sofa bed and the dinette bed.  So one day I decided to make it One Big Bed.  I attached a plank on some hinges to the back of the folding part of the sofa and rigged it up so that it securely rests on the edge of the dinette seats.  Ta-da!  A (nearly) king size bed!  I can sleep with feet/head window to window with enough room.  I carry a rolled up 2" memory foam mattress that I roll out on top of the cushions and boy is it really comfortable!  (a lot of room to store the memory foam during travel, but it's a luxury I can't give up now). The use of the short post supporting the back of the sofa folded down is critical but I assume you already have this.

If this modification interests you I will go take a few pictures.  It's completely transformed the sleeping in the camper for the better.  

Edited by Sandune24

Hi, I would like to see the modification you made with couch and dinette benches .

8 hours ago, Sandune24 said:

I would like to see the modification you made with couch and dinette benches

It's shown in the pictures in a post above:

http://toyotamotorhome.org/forums/index.php?/topic/11703-epdm-tape/&do=findComment&comment=109427

• 4 months later...

I have a 1988 21’ rear dinette model.  I’m in the process of taking the carpet off the beams. I’d love to see how yours look if you’ve finished your rebuild.  

I’m wondering What people use to clean them. If others have rewrapped them, and what was done about the gap between the beam and the cabinet once the carpet has been removed. 
thanks!