1986 odyssey, 4cyl fuel injection, overdrive button on shifter turns overdrive light on and off located on the dash but no power to overdrive solinoid, does it have a relay , if so where is it ? i have used a hot lead fron cigarett lighter to a on ,off switch to the solinoid on the tranny and now i have overdrive but sure would like to fix it as it was from the fractory, book says it has a relay and a temperature sensor, but i don't want to try tracing wires to find them, ooooh way tooo many wires

There is a relay. The bad news is I have looked both thru my service manual, owners manual and chiltons and can not find where it is located. There is also a temp sensor for the transmission. The transmission is supposed to be 122 degrees plus or overdrive will not engauge. Possible the temp sensor is bad. Under the hood on the passenger side there is a fuse box along with some relays. I know some of the relays are for the headlights but maybe its there.

Which transmission??? I think you may have a A43D,if so the thermo sensor is NOT in the transmission, but up by the thermostat. It has a single wire. Shorted below 109 deg, Open above 131 deg.

Main relay is "on" pedal bracket. Continuity on pins 1,2. Pin 1 upper Right, pin 2 upper left.

Have fun

Which transmission??? I think you may have a A43D,if so the thermo sensor is NOT in the transmission, but up by the thermostat. It has a single wire. Shorted below 109 deg, Open above 131 deg.

Main relay is "on" pedal bracket. Continuity on pins 1,2. Pin 1 upper Right, pin 2 upper left.

Have fun

WME

I saw pedal bracket in my book, does that mean brake pedal, gas pedal or what?

WME

I saw pedal bracket in my book, does that mean brake pedal, gas pedal or what?

I have not looked. The factory says to remove the relay from the "pedal bracket" to check. Doesn't say which bracket <_<

ralph

thanks to the help of this forum, i have located tranny relay, but not the senser, the one i thought was the temperature senser was the temp sensor for the dash guage. but today is just starting and i can make everthing work bypassing the senser wire, so untill i discover the hidding little senser i just wont use overdrive till engine is warmed up.

tranny is aisin borg warner ltd model 03-71, and i see no senser on it.

the relay is fastened to the bracket that suports the break or clutch pedals it even says overdrive relay on it,

thanks again.

The sensor for the gauges is in the front of the engine under the upper radiator hose. Green body. The temp sensor for the transmission is on the passenge side of the engine, in the middle front to back, just below the cam cover ,Blue plug one wire.

• 3 years later...

Have fun

I am new to this forum and having similar problems with my overdrive with a few differences. My OD off light does not come on when you hit the button, but the wipers work fine. I was told they were on the same fuse. All my fuses are good. Also, this may sound stupid, but if it's the temp sensor, how do you bypass it? Can you just unplug it? How do I check contiuity on the relay? Or do i check the connection to the relay? Where is the altitude sensor and how do you bypass that? Sorry for all the questions and not knowing anything. I have only owned the rv for 2 days. It's a 1985 dutchmen mrv 22re Auto.

Thanks,

Aaron

Edited by luxosport