Hi all new to us owners of a '91 Spirit, 59k, and have it scheduled for timing belt replacement. I ordered the Aisin kit (about $160), but mechanic pushed for dealer kit because of warranty. Twice the price however. Any opinions if double the price worth getting the Toyota kit?

Ty in advance for any input. I looked pretty hard, didnt see this brought up in previous threads, so apologies if its been covered.

Toyota website is showing no "kit" for changing the timing belt. Seems reasonable since the timing belt itself has been discontinued. Maybe something thrown together by your local dealership. They might offer a guarantee if your nearby but on the road you'd have nothing

Linda S 

Thanks to all. Aisin kit delivered tonorrow, guess I'll stick with it. Internet reviews for other makes and models have been favorable. Mechanic was concerned about quality I think, given that belt, water pump, etc are included for $160 shipped.

I’ve used Aisin on several jobs over the years (mostly Hondas, since it’s OEM); always great quality and never any complaints. 

Internet seems to think that Aisin is the original supplier to Toyota.  I have learned the hard way when getting new parts to carefully compare the old part to new to make sure they are the same.  The water pump on my 93 had the Toyota name in the casting,  I could see where it was ground off on the Aisin replacement!   Wish I had taken a picture.  

Belt kit in, test drive successful. Mechanic ended up being very happy with the Aisin quality. Mitsuboshi belts same as original. I was happy with mechanic; he was less than half the price of the dealership lol.