What kind of toyocamper is this please?

Jill

Hello, 

I'm happy to say that I"m soon to be the owner of a sweet 1984 Toyota camper.  The owner doesn't have camper manual, only the truck.  Camper is definitely dated and worn, but has just 33,000 original miles and everything is in working condition. Big plans for my rebuild!  I just shot a few pics, picking up Monday.  Does anyone in this community know what this camper model is??

Super psyched to be here with this lovely dilemma!  Thanks for any help!!

Here's a few photos.

IMG_6834.jpg

IMG_6826.jpg

IMG_6832.jpg

IMG_6830.jpg

Forgot to post this photo.

It has the five-lug axle (look at rear wheel.)  I've read the bad remarks regarding this.  Is it a mistake to buy with this? I'm unable to do the work myself. Thanks for advice.IMG_6825.jpg.c87d9dafba7ed7a3a9666c28aac76e34.jpg

As the name says it’s a Granville (model name).

Regarding the 5 lug rear axle. They are unsafe and must be changed. The costs can run around $2K. I would reduce my purchase offer by this amount to allow money to make the upgrade. 

Remember, you’re buying a 35 year old drivetrain. Caveat emptor is the key here.

Thanks for writing.  I've been reading about the axle.  There was an acceptable upgrade to the existing 5-lug design, for 1985. I believe this is a 1985 camper on a 1984 truck. The articles I've found say that the 1985s, specifically have an acceptable (and more importantly safe) upgrade. The old wheels look different from mine, which is encouraging. Can't find a picture of the upgrade and hoping that's what I have. I found a description, a technical report that states they are safe. (Also states how unfortunate to not have a picture of the safe fix.) Report states not many around anymore, but stressed they are totally fine. Found this upon searching for should I buy... 

The current owner specifically mentioned this one has the good axle. After getting home and reading about it, I was sad to see just five lugs.   He is someone known to me and well-established in the tiny mountain town where I live.  I can afford the repair if needed.  I've been eyeing these since the first year they came out. I was super poor and making around $7000/year in the army.  I'm still excited, even if the axle must be replaced. :) 

4 hours ago, Jill said:

Thanks for writing.  I've been reading about the axle.  There was an acceptable upgrade to the existing 5-lug design, for 1985. I believe this is a 1985 camper on a 1984 truck. The articles I've found say that the 1985s, specifically have an acceptable (and more importantly safe) upgrade. The old wheels look different from mine, which is encouraging. Can't find a picture of the upgrade and hoping that's what I have. I found a description, a technical report that states they are safe. (Also states how unfortunate to not have a picture of the safe fix.) Report states not many around anymore, but stressed they are totally fine. Found this upon searching for should I buy... 

The current owner specifically mentioned this one has the good axle. After getting home and reading about it, I was sad to see just five lugs.   He is someone known to me and well-established in the tiny mountain town where I live.  I can afford the repair if needed.  I've been eyeing these since the first year they came out. I was super poor and making around $7000/year in the army.  I'm still excited, even if the axle must be replaced. :) 

There was no “safe” upgrade to the 5 lug axle. In 1985 or 86 (not sure which) due to multiple axle failures the mfg’s (not Toyota) upgraded to the 6 lug, ff axle.

I don’t believe the seller is trying to mislead you but may be uninformed himself.

Feel free to show him this thread. The current axle is UNSAFE, and will need to be changed.  Good luck. Fred

If you read about the 'upgraded' 5 lug axle in the 'Axle Facts', I'm afraid that part of the Facts is actually 'Fiction'. The Facts were written by a Member of the Yahoo Group who supposedly (according to himself) did a whole week of 'research' which (according to himself) consisted of reading old posts. It was penned in 2003 and despite everyone looking ever since, nobody seems to have come up with any actually proof to back it up. Every time somebody claims to have one, it turns out to be a regular 5 lug axle with foolies.

IMHO, it's another Internet factoid that just won't go away.

Thank you for telling me this!  Otherwise I would have bought the information.  I'll be replacing the axle, first thing.  It appears to be a cherry find, for 1984-5 and I'm happy with the price. I've seen the same rig, triple miles with the axle going for over 3K more than he wants.  He was in a rush the first time I saw it. I'm sure he's aware of the axle deal.  He told me he never drives above 55 mph.  I'll be driving at less than that until she goes for her axle.  I plan to do a complete remodel, keeping appliances that work well, replacing maybe the toilet. (It looked so gnarly, but I'm sort of a germaphobe.)

I'm not mechanical regarding vehicles.  I've read accounts of others who go 4x4 with this specific vehicle.  I'd love to do that, I'm in the mountains of CO. Is it possible? Unbelievably costly?

Picking it up in a few hours. In the rain yay! (need to check for leaks!!) This isn't my first go around with campers, kinda hope this is my final one. I've had the bells and whistles and glitz...don't need!  I'll be using this as my geriatric dog's babysitter. She can go everywhere with me and enjoy heat while I'm doing my thing.  Everything I do is basically for my dog. :) 

Appreciate both of your comments!

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Jill

8 hours ago, Derek up North said:

If you read about the 'upgraded' 5 lug axle in the 'Axle Facts', I'm afraid that part of the Facts is actually 'Fiction'. The Facts were written by a Member of the Yahoo Group who supposedly (according to himself) did a whole week of 'research' which (according to himself) consisted of reading old posts. It was penned in 2003 and despite everyone looking ever since, nobody seems to have come up with any actually proof to back it up. Every time somebody claims to have one, it turns out to be a regular 5 lug axle with foolies.

IMHO, it's another Internet factoid that just won't go away.

9 hours ago, fred heath said:

There was no “safe” upgrade to the 5 lug axle. In 1985 or 86 (not sure which) due to multiple axle failures the mfg’s (not Toyota) upgraded to the 6 lug, ff axle.

I don’t believe the seller is trying to mislead you but may be uninformed himself.

Feel free to show him this thread. The current axle is UNSAFE, and will need to be changed.  Good luck. Fred

I'll be doing the axle first.  Test drove and it's a sweet ride.  Love driving a stick after all these years.  Wow 4 speed lol. How fast do you go with a four speed? (With new axle installed.)

I'm picking it up in the morning.  He didn't want me to pay tonight, because he knew nothing about the axle.  He's going to read about it and most likely, take something off the purchase price. (He's only selling to help his daughter pay for college, loves the camper.)  He's good friends with a good friend and understands I'm about to spend some $$.  All good. 

Didn't hear anything bad while driving. Had it up to 55 almost. I'm timid.  Only thing was super old water leak stains on underneath plywood (just a bit, still in great shape) around the over-cab front window.  The mattress has been entirely replaced, along with all other upholstery  Excellent condition.  I banged around the body, didn't feel anything soft.  I owned a Lance trailer. Leaked right out of the factory.  I understand sealing, so cool with that part.

Someone has loved this camper before. Based on his purely science-geek BLM background, I have a feeling that the original owner was a hippy who could care less about the recall and repair.  

Otherwise, everything works and in looking again, the bathroom isn't so bad afterall. Might actually be just discoloration from age. Unbelievable counter space!