Away from the RV, need help with finding a part.

LittleShack

I am visiting family and am away from my '92 Itasca. Last spring we began looking at the built in generator, which runs great, has only 23 hours on it, but is noisy as heck! The muffler on it has all but rusted away.We tried repairing it with various tapes, tubes and what not. It didn't take. So, am now looking to replace it if possible. I will be travelling to Montana this month from BC, Canada, if anyone knows of a US business I might find one at, or here in Canada will work too. It is an Onan, but I couldn't tell you which model without going out to look at it. Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

4 hours ago, LittleShack said:

I am visiting family and am away from my '92 Itasca. Last spring we began looking at the built in generator, which runs great, has only 23 hours on it, but is noisy as heck! The muffler on it has all but rusted away.We tried repairing it with various tapes, tubes and what not. It didn't take. So, am now looking to replace it if possible. I will be travelling to Montana this month from BC, Canada, if anyone knows of a US business I might find one at, or here in Canada will work too. It is an Onan, but I couldn't tell you which model without going out to look at it. Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Google “scooter mufflers “. They’re small, inexpensive and can be modified to fit your genset. The alternative is to order a replacement muffler from Onan ($$$).

4 hours ago, fred heath said:

Google “scooter mufflers “. They’re small, inexpensive and can be modified to fit your genset. The alternative is to order a replacement muffler from Onan ($$$).

I knew someone would point me in the right direction! Off to 'google'! Thanks!

8 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I'm guessing one like this. (WARNING: Hearing protection recommended!)

Not in mine. I'll be heading home in a few days and can get the numbers then.  Mine looks pretty different to this.

Spent an hour searching for a photo of a generator that looks like mine....finally realized...DUH!....it's a Kohler, not an Onan. The Onan is in our travel trailer.🙄

It looks pretty much like this.

1991_stockton-ca_engine.jpg

Hate to tell you this no matter what you do the Kohler it will never be quiet. The Onan is quieter but not what I would call quiet either. Part of the problem is the speed they have to turn to make 60 cycles AC a two pole generator has to turn 3600 RPM to do that. Onan made a larger unit for big MH that was a twin cylinder it had a 4 pole generator and only turned 1800 RPM it actually was as quiet as a little Honda but BIG!

I don't know where you plan on going in Montana but if you get to Kalispell, go to Gardiner's RV. They have an excellent service center and can probably help with your generator.

On 9/4/2019 at 7:25 AM, wemit said:

I don't know where you plan on going in Montana but if you get to Kalispell, go to Gardiner's RV. They have an excellent service center and can probably help with your generator.

Thanks! Good to know!

On 9/4/2019 at 5:51 AM, Maineah said:

Hate to tell you this no matter what you do the Kohler it will never be quiet. The Onan is quieter but not what I would call quiet either. Part of the problem is the speed they have to turn to make 60 cycles AC a two pole generator has to turn 3600 RPM to do that. Onan made a larger unit for big MH that was a twin cylinder it had a 4 pole generator and only turned 1800 RPM it actually was as quiet as a little Honda but BIG!

Yikes! Glad I have a Yamaha too then!

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 11:32 PM, LittleShack said:

Send me aa picture, there is an Onan dealship where I live on Vancouver Island and I may be able to help you.  Send me any name plate information from the generator.  I have an Onan generator in my rig as well.

Boots.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same Kohler it's loud and stinks but will run the AC and some other things, where the HF inverter generator couldn't keep up with the AC alone. It would start it but trip the breaker after a couple minutes. My muffler needs replacing I'm curious to see what you find? I'm trying to add pics but my uploads have begun failing... -200!