Brake questions

moalaska

I read on one of the posts, that if you drive backward and slam on brakes, this will tighten up the star wheel auto adjusters for the full floating rear?  Is this true or is there an access hole for the star wheel, can anyone confirm?  Also on 78 and earlier chassis, does anyone know if there is a lspv?  I didn't see one when I did my axle upgrade.  Thanks.

There is an access hole for the rear brake drum shoes.  You have to crawl under the truck and get to it from the inside of the wheel area.  You remove rubber plugs, one at the bottom of the plate to get to the adjuster and the other one is near 9 or 3 o'clock to see the pad/drum clearance.  With a flashlight you should be able to see how thick your rear pads are (at least for one of the two pads) and how big the gap is between the pad and drum.  You want it small, I go for 1mm or less.  Use the star adjuster at the bottom to do this adjustment.

To address your other question about how to adjust the pads.  There is an "auto-adjuster" in the brake setup.  To me it appears to be connected to the emergency brake cable.  When you pull the e-brake it can tighten the rear pads.  Others will chime in and tell me if I'm off my rocker or not.  It's better to get under there and do the adjustment yourself with the star if you are able to get it to turn with a screwdriver.