Morning!

I was just reading the Haynes Repair Manual - the section about what an Automatic Transmission Fluid Change entails with the Toy and I need your help. Here's what part of the instructions say:

10. Carefully clean the gasket surface of the transmission to remove all traces of the old gasket and sealant. 

11. Drain the fluid from the transmission pan, clean it with solvent and dry it with compressed air. 

12. Apply a thin layer of RTV sealant to the transmission case side of the new gasket. 

13. Make sure the gasket surface on the transmission pan is clean, then apply a thin layer of RTV sealant to it and position the new gasket on the pan. Put the pan in place against the transmission, install the bolts and, working around the pan, tighten each bolt a little at a time until the final torque figure is reached. 

I've never heard of RTV sealant before, nor worked with it before. To be honest, I'm not even sure what it is exactly even though I read on Google it means "room-temperature-vulcanizing".... which does not make it any clearer lol.

So I guess my main question is -- What brand do you recommend for this job? I'd hate to pick just any old brand and have an issue with the gasket malfunctioning in some way.

Thanks!! 

Edited by AmyDC

Forget the RTV sealant..... Do not use a cork or a cork/rubber pan gasket.   Do not use a "rubber pan gasket either"  Source a "Duraprene" pan gasket, hammer flat any  dimple's in the pan. put the gasket on DRY and securely tighten the bolts....This material is used by pro builders, it seals & will not need  constant tightening.

donnie

@Donnie interesting I hadn't heard of Duraprene gaskets before.... which Duraprene pan gasket have you used on your Toy that you recommend? Do you still have to get a new one every time you change the transmission fluid (like the regular gaskets)? Or do you just keep reusing the same Duraprene gasket every time you change the transmission fluid? The gaskets that RockAuto.com has for sale average around $4 bucks a pop... What kind of price point is the Duraprene?

There is no need to replace the transmission fluid often. Every 2 years is fine once you have it fully cleaned out. Even then just draining the fluid from the drain bolt is enough of a change. No pan action required. Also one of the best reasons to buy the best gasket available. 

Linda S