Advice needed for solar power

Nana Banana

Recently purchased a 1991 Horizon. It came with a 110 mini fridge that I’m hoping to run by solar. I’m a complete novice and would appreciate advice on how to set it up. I have small solar kits for lights and electronic charging ( purchases from a few years ago that haven’t been used). What do I need just to power fridge? Bless you for answering! 

You need an inverter to invert the 12v DC rv battery to 110v AC to power the fridge. A Solar panel powers the inverter in the daytime, a big battery runs things at night. You need a large enough solar panel to both run the inverter and recharge the battery to full capacity.

If you want real numbers you need to find the power consumption label on the fridge.  WAG would be 200w of solar and 150AH of battery. You should not discharge the battery more than 50% capicity

1000w inverter should run the fridge. A 250w inverter will "run" the unit but it won't start it.

Edited by WME

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2019 at 3:21 PM, Nana Banana said:

Recently purchased a 1991 Horizon. It came with a 110 mini fridge that I’m hoping to run by solar. I’m a complete novice and would appreciate advice on how to set it up. I have small solar kits for lights and electronic charging ( purchases from a few years ago that haven’t been used). What do I need just to power fridge? Bless you for answering! 

Tell me about what you want to do and perhaps I can recommend some solutions.  First off though, what is your budget for this project, next do you have the tools to undertake this work and lastly is there a reason that you want to do use solar?  One last item, is the term "110" referring to a standard electric refrigerator that is normally plugged into a wall outlet?

Boots

Hi, Boots. Since posting the question about solar, I’ve encountered a half-dozen other issues that need to be addressed. Water, electrical, rebuilding coach door. So the budget I had for my solar idea is now kaput. The fridge that came with my purchase is a household 110 — like a hotel room fridge. But it’s the least of my worries now. 

Hoping to get both AC/heat units operational soon. Then it’s on to the hot water heater...

Thanks for you response. I appreciate your interest.