Shock Absorbers

jmt301

I found these on RockAuto.com - perhaps a more economical solution...

KYB KG5438 Gas-A-Just - Rear; Motorhome Chassis: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=503769&cc=1277401
$28.79 (USD)

KYB KG5458 Gas-A-Just - Front; Motorhome Chassis: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=502354&cc=1277401
$32.79 (USD)

Many of us have used the KYB Gas-A-Just units on front/rear with very good results. Definitely recommended.

Swapping out shocks is also one of the easier tasks to manage on these vehicles.

1 hour ago, AmyDC said:

KYB KG5438 Gas-A-Just - Rear; Motorhome Chassis: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=503769&cc=1277401
$28.79 (USD)

KYB KG5458 Gas-A-Just - Front; Motorhome Chassis: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=502354&cc=1277401
$32.79 (USD)

Yep, ~$120 vs ~$300.

2 hours ago, AmyDC said:

$28.79 (USD)

$32.79 (USD)

I just installed these KYB's on my Dolphin and I'm happy with them.  Doing an empirical study (installing the $300 Bilsteins and then installing the $150 KYB's and comparing them long-term) is just too expensive, so my vote is for the KYB.

• 4 weeks later...

hi there. i put kyb on my warrior last year. went to shockwarehouse.com  price was half of the coveted bilstein. free shipping. no regrets and have more $$ for beer. joe from dover.

How does one know it’s time for new shocks? I have a ‘91 winne warrior with the added air shocks, 78k miles, which I purchased with 48k miles, and I can’t tell if these are the original. Just “feels” like I should replace soon. 

In addition, the motor is the 3.0 V6 and I’m wondering when should I have the Timing Belt/Chain Changed? ...how many miles are suggested for that to take place?

thank

Jeffrey

3.0 V6 has a timing belt. Toyota Maintenance Schedule shows 60k miles to change. What they don't also mention is the 28 year AGE of your belt. I have yet to see an 'age' interval for timing belts in North America, they do in Europe. Never seems to be greater than 10 years and that would be with improved rubber technology in the last 30 years. I ASSUME Continental uses the same materials and technology in all their belts so I ASSUME the different intervals are those recommended by the various vehicle manufacturers.

At least the 3VZE is a non-interference engine, but when the belt breaks, there's no warning. The engine just stops dead as though you'd switched off the key. Murphy's Law says it will happen miles from nowhere in the middle of a snow storm and far from any repair facility who won't rip you off. Best done in the comfort of your own driveway or at a trusted shop. :)

image.png.2585d9911523878bba3e18a2c15525e8.png

1993 Maintenance Schedule.jpg

1993 Maintenance Schedule (con't).jpg

Timing belt replacement chart.pdf

2 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Thanks for the informative reply, Derek up  North. I’ll schedule a Timing belt replacement before long. 

You are almost at the suggested 80,000 mile O2 sensor replacement.   My 94 Sea Breeze owners manual says Toyota will replace it labor and parts no cost to you! 

Have not heard of anyone having it done,  but it is in black and white in the owners manual!       Pg 157.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

I’ll look into this, thanks folks. 

Back to my original question, any idea when I should be changing my shocks, what might be obvious signs that the shocks, front and rear, need replacing, I can’t really tell, they seem OK but there is some side to side motion that I’m aware of.