Lessons learned about being overweight

Gary_M

I've been making yearly trips from Seattle to eastern Oregon via the Mount Hood HI way 26 pass.  In 2018 coming back from eastern Oregon the transmission overheat light came on at the top of the pass at Mt Hood. I had to downshift many many times to try to keep the RPM at/above 3500. BTW I have a 22RE and auto A43d tranny.

After watching Matt Damon's Martian we he stripped down the MAV so it could meeting up with the Hermes it got me thinking...

the-martian-movie-matt-damon.jpg   

Removed the following (while listening to ABBA):

Jack knife sofa (replaced with lighter cushions from Home Depot)

Captain Chairs (area now used for sleeping)

Table (same area as the captions chair, now use portable small table)

cutting board (custom board that wasn't being used)

Co-pilot chair (no one was riding with me, extra storage opportunity) 😉

6 gallons of drinking water (get that at your destination)

5 gallons onboard water for washing dishes, toilet. (dump station at destination has potable water for that)

Reduced excess gear I did not need, heave tripod, extra chairs

Food (get that at your destination)

Ditch the wife and daughter (250 pounds), just kidding, actually they came down in a separate car this go around

Yes did this exact trip a couple of weeks ago and never downshifted out of 3rd gear manually, what was surprising is when the RPM got to 3000 or close it shifted to 2nd on it's own. No tranny overheat light.  I'd say this did it. I have to really think about weight when making these mountain pass trips. 

Edited by Gary_M

No Linda I did not put that one in, in fact one of the warning lights that does not come on when staring up so my bet is most folks don't know they have one. I was surprised to see it come on at the pass. From what I remember the light stayed lit for 15 minutes with the ACC on and faded out when it cooled down, orange in color. 

Might not be the exact wording of the light but hey the only idiot light that this idiot adhered to when it came on. 

Doing some searching the light may be called "A/T oil temp".

Edited by Gary_M

Never heard of anyone ever mentioning it before. plenty of people go out of their way to add temp sensors to the tranny lines just for that reason. I can only find references online  to a trannie warning light on 4wd models.

Linda S

The 88 Toyota service manual references it too. Suspect this is standard on all 22re's. Got to experience it to see it. 😎

instrument cluster.JPG

Edited by Gary_M

OK so I know the 3.0 has one. That wiring diagram you posted is for a V6. Includes the ECT wiring which is not available on a 22re or the A43D transmission. Anybody else? I would really like to know the answer to this. 

Linda S

This one for an 87 22r and it shows the indicator and the trace to the computer sensor. I know for fact mine is not aftermarket, optional at purchase? I doubt it.

2009-03-24_141520_87_toyota_dash.jpg

Well I know that is not your personal service manual. I was mistaken the ECT does not mean the shift adjustment button, it means electronically controlled transmission. The A43D is not an electronically controlled transmission. But another thing I didn't know the 4x4's with a 22re used the A340F transmission, electronically controlled, from 1985 and up. That is the diagram you posted. I don't doubt your light came on but there's no way it came like that from the factory. None of us with the A43D have a transmission warning light. You just got lucky

Linda S

2 hours ago, linda s said:

None of us with the A43D have a transmission warning light. You just got lucky

I'd wage a bet on that one. I'm sorry that this post got so out of hand. Wanted to share an experience not be told I'm lucky. Good luck. 

And I'm sorry I seem so confrontational. I was really hoping someone else would jump in and explain how you could be the only one to ever have a trannie warning light on a 22re. 14 years of reading hundreds of threads about the best way to install temp sensors in the lines so we would know the actual temp of the transmission. Just trying to understand. Where are all our mechanic guys

Linda S

I looked at my 93 V6,  the area where the At light would be shows 4 lights,  including cruise control,  driving pattern and overdrive,  none of them come on at start up to check.  the overdrive  and cruise control lights function properly.     I believe the driving pattern is for 4 wheel drive?

Book also shows trip meter and reset nob on cluster,  I do not have those.  

4 hours ago, Derek up North said:

I THINK it's normal for all the dash lights to illuminate at start-up as a 'bulb check'.

That has always been my impression too.  If the bulb doesn't light then you know it's burned out. Only the operational/in-use dash lights light with the initial turn of the key up I believe.

The AT/ oil  light on my cluster panel is on the left side of the instrument panel above the oil warning light. The light is orange and nearly impossible to see with out having a bright light to make out. The light doesn't illuminate on startup but I know it works. Other lights in the cluster that don't illuminate are the "back door" makes sense and the fuel warning light that I can barely make out as well.  

Yes the cab is quite dusty, she needs a cleaning as I was up in a desert whipped wind climate in Oregon, I kept windows open to let the cool air blow through.

20190811_104721_resized.jpg

20190811_105150_resized.jpg

20190811_120034_resized.jpg

Edited by Gary_M

You made me go look!  The lights on a 93 are on the bottom right of the cluster and with a bright light I can just make out the letters A T. 

I have never heard of anyone saying my AT temp light came on what should I do? 

Wonder where the signal comes from or if it even works??