91 Odyssey Fuel Tank

KristyK

Just tried to smog my 91 Odyssey so we can sell it and found out there was a leak in the fuel system. Had my mechanic take a look and after a smoke test he says the metal line going from the tank to the rubber fuel lines is rusted and that's where the leak is. They suggest to replace the whole tank...is this necessary? Can the metal line just be replaced? If not, what size tank is this and where might I find a suitable replacement?  Thanks 

Edited by KristyK

The metal tube is standard muffler tubing. It is held on by hose clamps. Just remove it and go to your local auto parts. You may have to buy a piece a bit longer and cut to size. or maybe you will get lucky.

Wow Derek...this will most likely be a very helpful diagram, to the guys (just makes my head hurt to look at HAHA) I will show them this and get back to you though. This is really a great forum for these RVs! Thank you again, I feel like this will be a huge help to my mechanically inclined people! The mechanic said the whole metal part of the line was rusted, including where it went in to the tank and said we would have to replace the whole thing...there was really no discussion of just replacing the line (I assumed this was just a safety issue since it's the gas tank?) But this is a pretty fancy shop that does mostly high end classic cars, you could eat off the floor in there! I'm waiting to hear back from an rv mechanic who may have some more economical suggestions...stay tuned. The new tank isnt too bad but he said it will be like 4 or 5 hours labor and like I said, our plan was to smog it and sell it before finding all this out. In California you have to have a current smog cert to sell. 

Totally understand Derek, I will keep this thread updated as we go and post pictures and all the info I find, perhaps it will help someone like me in the future:) You have been so much more helpful than I could have hoped.  

Linda S...I wish I knew you!! Your driveway doesn't happen to be anywhere near Monterey, CA does it? 

• 3 months later...

My two cents... don't EVER replace the original high-quality OEM tank. Here's my story... my RV had sat with an empty tank for like twenty years before I bought it. Luckily it was in a barn so not completely rotted away, but the fuel tank had rust inside which kept clogging the injectors. Like an idiot I bought a new aftermarket tank (along with every other part of the fuel system eventually - new hoses, lines, filter, injectors...)

Well the tank failed after six months. Spot welds on the bottom tore out and it started leaking. Got it replaced under warranty. Replacement leaked after six months, same story. Searched for OEM tank. None available. Searched for junkyard tank. None available. Bought much more expensive after-market tank. Failed after six months. It would appear there is only one actual manufacturer of after-market tanks because they are all the same no matter how much you pay, and all have the same design flaw of spot welds in the bottom that fatigue and tear out.

I'm on my sixth replacement tank in four years. This one is holding, because when I bought it I immediately encased it in a heavy layer of marine epoxy and fiberglass, so when the welds tear through (they probably already have) there is a solid fiberglass shell outside to hold the gas.

In all your travels I'm surprised you couldn't find a used OEM fuel tank somewhere that rust isn't an issue. There are plenty out here in California but anywhere it doesn't snow enough for salt to be used on the road is a good place to check. Most here are 100 bucks or less. 

Linda S

1 hour ago, linda s said:

In all your travels I'm surprised you couldn't find a used OEM fuel tank somewhere that rust isn't an issue. There are plenty out here in California but anywhere it doesn't snow enough for salt to be used on the road is a good place to check. Most here are 100 bucks or less. 

Linda S

My tank spent it's life in Florida and is clean on the outside.   Inside is rusted. 

RV tanks spend too much time sitting with old fuel in them and condensation takes a toll. Just look at the number of Toyota motorhomes we see with under 50,000 miles even though they are decades old. Buying a tank from a truck it's far less likely that it's been sitting for years. People drive them until they die and with a Toyota that's a very long time. A well used fuel tank is probably going to still be in pretty good shape.

Linda S

Same goes for RV drivers. If we sit around too much we rust up. Gotta get on the road and as we used to say ¨ Get the lead out.¨ Course no younger folks know what the hell I mean when I say that so let me convert it: :Get the ethanol out.¨

As they say the old timers run better if they are used every day. More I drive my rig the better it likes it. Just saying

• 9 months later...