Hi Julia,

I went with these and 'm very happy with them.

https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=7242

I also got those for my '90 Dolphin - they are a bit cheaper on eBay and the item is the same.  I got them from these guys:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Lift-57113-LoadLifter-5000-for-1986-1994-Toyota-Motorhome-Micro-Mini/141980652746?epid=210179477&hash=item210eb4d4ca:g:qI8AAOxyfDZSZ-XB

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys run mini on-board compressors or the stock side-wall conncetion?  

I'm about to install these and was wondering if others just use the stock setup?

I had to cut out my old airbag perches because it was for a outdated t-9 system. all in all it wasn't too hard. I ended up runing the new airlines to the old location for that's where my tag was regarding the airbags. I did not go with a onboard air compressor or paddles. I just fill my bags to about 50lbs and make sure the coach and lever from left to right. I will say it makes for a much nicer ride.  

Thats what the old perches looked like that i had to cut out. Those sat right above the rear axle 

Screenshot_20190819-113018_Photos.jpg

yes that's the t-9 perch. you will need to cut that off. my grinding wheel cut the welds fairly easy. the new load lifter air bags will come with new bolt on mounts for the top. you will drill a hole in the framing and use the equipped self tapping bolts. it will also come with brackets for the bottom and those brackets fit under the U-bolts holding the leaf springs. if its something you plan on doing soon id go under and start spraying those U-bolts with penetrating oil to help loosen them up or they could be a bear to get even worse breaking then you need new u/bolts. some folks will say even loosening the U-bolts means they should be replaced but I've never had a issue.

also make sure you have some heavy duty jack stands for we are dealing with a lot of weight.

On 8/19/2019 at 10:13 AM, ModocMade said:

Did you guys run mini on-board compressors or the stock side-wall conncetion?  

I'm about to install these and was wondering if others just use the stock setup?

I just keep a high pressure bike pump like this one: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Floornado-750-High-Pressure-Floor-Pump-With-Gauge/244813275

I got it from a Walmart for like $17 and I top off the pressure on the airbags every 2-3 weeks, it just takes a few pumps and the pressure gauge is very accurate.  Having an onboard compressor really is unnecessary.  You need the high pressure bike pump; I initially purchased a regular pressure pump and quickly blew it out topping off the air in my tires.  The high pressure one with the thinner cylinder works much better, and as a bonus you can use it to top up pressure on your tires and bikes, and whatnot. 

These old bags look offset to outside of frame. Is that optical illusion?  Will the airlift 5000 be directly under the frame?

The new ones will not be attached to the leaf springs. They will be vertical with the top of the axle and the frame. 

• 2 months later...

My mechanic says that I don’t need air lifts on my 1987 Escaper. Just new leaf springs, tension bars and rear shocks. Do all mini motor homes have air lifts? Also I am shopping around for leaf springs, any suggestions ?

8 hours ago, Sandune24 said:

I am shopping around for leaf springs, any suggestions ?

Old Man Emu Leaf Springs are an option.  They don't list our vehicles as a "correct fit" but there are two models that do indeed fit and function well. There are two options with the difference being the total 'lift', CS010R and CS009R.  The CS010R  springs will get more lift than the CS009R model.  These springs were designed to lift a truck with regular loading about 2" and so with our heavy load then end up being close to stock height.  The CS009R springs have one less leaf (6-leaf like the OEM springs) and will be about 3/4" to 1" lower, but are otherwise identical to the 7-leaf CS010R.   Cost is ~$230 to $250 for two springs plus you have to buy bushings (I suggest a poly set rather than rubber).  The safe option is to buy the CS010R's and install and check height (it will settle about another 1/2" after break in).  If it's too high then remove the extra leaf and check again.  Remember that you can also adjust front height a little with the torsion bars to match where your rear ends up.  I'm assuming you have a 21' rig like mine and thus similar weight.  I started with the CS010R's but ended up removing a leaf.  But I have air bags to compensate and fine tune ride height so it's hard to say what would work best for you.  

Here is an overly long thread with way more than you wanted to know about leaf springs and ride height:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/4/2019 at 8:22 AM, AtlantaCamper said:

Old Man Emu Leaf Springs are an option.  They don't list our vehicles as a "correct fit" but there are two models that do indeed fit and function well. There are two options with the difference being the total 'lift', CS010R and CS009R.  The CS010R  springs will get more lift than the CS009R model.  These springs were designed to lift a truck with regular loading about 2" and so with our heavy load then end up being close to stock height.  The CS009R springs have one less leaf (6-leaf like the OEM springs) and will be about 3/4" to 1" lower, but are otherwise identical to the 7-leaf CS010R.   Cost is ~$230 to $250 for two springs plus you have to buy bushings (I suggest a poly set rather than rubber).  The safe option is to buy the CS010R's and install and check height (it will settle about another 1/2" after break in).  If it's too high then remove the extra leaf and check again.  Remember that you can also adjust front height a little with the torsion bars to match where your rear ends up.  I'm assuming you have a 21' rig like mine and thus similar weight.  I started with the CS010R's but ended up removing a leaf.  But I have air bags to compensate and fine tune ride height so it's hard to say what would work best for you.  

Here is an overly long thread with way more than you wanted to know about leaf springs and ride height:

Thank you Atlanta Camper 👣🙏

• 1 month later...

My 3-Ts air bags are leaking badly. I could obtain replacement parts which costs about the same as new ones. Planning to go with these:

https://www.suspensionconnection.com/view-cat/toyota/motorhome-6?category=air%2dlift%2dair%2dbags

The vendor currently has 10% off with free shipping.

Does anyone know the difference between 

• Air Lift #57113 and Air Lift #88113

Capture.JPG

The more expensive one, 88113, has an internal jounce bumper. Not something very many of us have but like a tiny Timbren inside the airbag. I have no idea if it helps other than if the new air bag blew out it would prevent complete bottoming out

Linda S

Thanks Linda; I ended up with the cheaper version for $271 shipped. I had used Airlift brand on my '05 Tacoma so hopefully this works on the motorhome well. I thought of going to 3-Ts but I think this is a better option and lower cost.

• 3 months later...

I've just got the new Air Lift installed. It took 2 of us about 4 hrs. It wasn't as easy as I thought. I had to remove the u-bolts that hold the leaf springs to insert the brackets; lining them up to reassemble wasn't exactly easy either. The upper brackets need drilling and self-tapping screws as well. The rubber pieces that prevent bottoming needed to be removed as the airbags get to be installed in that location.

Ride handling improves with the proper airbags, I inflated them to 80 PSI.

What do you inflate yours to?